Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior Foraminotomy

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I think I can finally sit at the computer for a few minutes. I had a posterior foraminotomy c-8 June 24. What was to be a small cut turned into a 4". When the NS got in he couldn't get to the osteophyte that was pinching the nerve root due to my congenital fusion. He had to increase his working space and relocate the nerve. This is how it was explained to me by hubby. I knew that there was a possiability that I would wake up with something more that I signed up for. I go to the NS tomorrow for a check up and will ask him to explain what happened to me. This is a very painful surgery. I have been very good and I hope that this has helped the chronic pain that I have suffered for 1.5 years. I need to take the pain pills every 4 hours or it get pretty intense. If anyone else would like to discuss their experience with this surgery I will check in daily. I have to go I can sit here no longer. I wish I had a laptop and wireless.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• Good luck with your appointment Nancy! Yes, unfortunately sometimes when they open us there are surprises. That is why to have a highly skilled surgeon doing the surgery, so he can do the appropriate repair. When I had my three-level L3-S1 fusion in May, after he opened me he discovered that the S1 too weak to hold the screws, so he had to reinforce it with some bone cement, that added another hour to my surgery, and possible another three-month to my recovery. So yes, when we go under the knife we never quite know what we will end up with.

Hope you will find relief from your pain soon, and you may be able to sit longer, and just feel better.

Best wishes,

Kin :) :) :)
  • I had a posterior foraminotomy at C7-T1 on 6/25. Fortunately there were no surprises and I'm left with a 2 inch scar. Whatever! As my signature reads, what's one more scar! Best of luck to you in your recovery.

• NS said it will probably take a few more weeks to recover due to the increase incision. He then stated "I warned you that this is very painful to recover from" I asked if I could tak anything else besides pain pills, he said your not takeing the muscle relaxor? He didn't give me a RX for them after surgery. I got RX,took one and boy do they make the pain more tolerable! I am still glad I did this. I am having very little of the symptoms that I lived with for 1.5 years. i am still on restiction for a couple more weeks. I feel fortunite to have the support i have recieved here. I seemed to have lost my ability to spell. I guess that will improve as i improve.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • I had a c7-t1 Foraminotomy with fusion performed back in Early Jan. They too left a slightly larger incision than expected but that was for the sugeon to get the best intallaion angle on the screws. The pain post op was tremendous and both pain and relaxors were required. Figure about two months of pain meds. Going from between the shoulders means lots of muscle that needs to be moved out of the way. There lies my problem. I am coming up on four months post op and the skin between my shoulders in stretching and the scar looks like it is trying to be pulled apart. Very painful and the skin between my shoulder feels burned like a sunburn. Is this normal? I've call the doctor as I am concerned the muscle is not properly attached anymore. I was a very good patient the first 2 plus months with no lifting or anything so I am at a loss as to what might cause my condition. Any similar complaints and what was done to help?
  • I have read your comment. now i'm nervous. I'm getting the posterior also on c7/t1 They are also fixing a fusion from 2003 that didn't fuse. c6/7. 2 more herniated, c3/4 and 4/5 which he is also fixing doing an anterior. My fear is my recovery. I will be in intensive care for 2 days on a breathing machine to breath for me so the swelling can go down. I am going to be nothing but rods and pins now. I'm sorry for your pain. and I hope that you will recover from this experience as with the other.
  • ;)) I really can't say because my surgery for my lower back is straight up and down from by butt crack, excuse me and about 12 inches higher. He went over the old incision in order to place the screws, and rods in.
    My neck surgery C 5-6-7 was done through the front of my neck with no problems but the problem lies in the inside which is not fusing and may end up having a posterior if the bone doesn't grow around it. He told me eventually the screws will break and he'll have to do the same to as my lower back.

I have been on pain meds for two years now because I am never without pain.
    I feel for you, because I don't understand either why this is happening. Does the doctor say why?

• My goodness, it sounds like your whole neck is going to be fused. Actually I haven't recovered well from either surgery but that doesn't mean you won't. I've had five surgeries and the only way I handle it is to handle it.
    What else can we do. I won't lie and say it's not painful but each day the pain becomes more tolerable.

When are you having the surgery so I can step up my prayer?

Stay strong and it's okay to fear the unknown. My nurses were excellent. They help you get through the worst of it too.

I'm so sorry for you. I hope you have better days ahead.

• I just had a C6-C7 lamino foraminotomy, the doc went in with a small incision about 1/2 inch and used medtronic tubes. I felt uncomfortable after surgery and was on valium for two days. the incision was covered with a surgical tape and no sutures. He said avoid lifting anything more than 10lbs for two weeks. Unfortunately i was feeling godo and lifted a laundry basket. now im in some pain again.
    My question is what shoudl i do to the incision? clean it daily with soap it's in the back so hard to get to.
    Also does numbness go away quickly mine is still the same as before surgery.
  • Thanks for responding. My surgery is for May 26th. Twin Cities. They really told me I had no choice. My arms hurt all the time, I have what I call the Jitters, they call it Tremors, muscle spasms. IT is also affecting my legs now. Just getting worse and worse and worse. My first surgery wasn't scary to me at all, this one is really scaring me. I thank you for the prayers. It mean an awlful lot. I will check back in after I am back on my feet again.
  • Are you having surgery in MPLS? Is your Dr with Twin Cities Spine Center?
  • yes, He is one of the best i've been told and have read and have checked to make sure i'm getting the best treatment possible.

Is this where you had your surgery done? I hope yours turned out good?