Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy long-term solution?

Hi there,

I have a herniated L5-S1 disc and have tried conservative treatments for the past 2 years almost, and they have been successful to some extent but it has not 100% eradicated the pain. I can get by day-to-day with very little pain and very rarely take medication, but the pain is definitely still there and I would like it resolved completely so I can play competitive sports again.

My private doctor has suggested the only way to fix this is by getting a microdiscectomy, but even at that, the chance of a 100% recovery is not guaranteed.

I have looked at less conventional methods such as ozonucleolysis, chemonucleolysis etc etc. but the idea of dissolving some of the nucleus pulposus scares me as this seems like giving myself the effect degenerative disc disease and would still leave a tear in my annulus fibrosus. Therefore, I feel that the more conventional method of a microdiscectomy may be the best option for me.

Seeing many sports persons getting the procedure - Tiger Woods, Andy Murray, Gareth Bale, John Terry etc etc make me feel like this may be the best option to play competitive sports again.

I have done a lot of research on this and feel that there is still some grey areas (in layman's terms anyway) about a few things, so I would like to ask a few questions;

1. Once they have removed the herniated nucleus pulposus, do the surgeons use a laser or something similar to seal the annulus fibrosus to prevent it from leaking again?

2. The hole they drill in the lamina - will this heal again with no hole in the bone?

3. If the herniation has happened because of poor posture, if I correct the posture, will this have an effect on the newly-shaped disc?

Please answer this, even if it's just your own personal opinion, as I am desperately looking for more opinions on this surgery.

Best regards,