Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctors very seldom touch you

I't seems like most the time doctors very seldom examine you by touching
It seems they usually looking at reports or just listening to you.
Do most of you get that same type of examination or doctor visit?

• My back 'went' again in August 2014. I was seen by my GP, an orthopaedic registrar, my GP again, an orthopaedic consultant and then a second orthopaedic consultant and not one of them even lifted a leg!

I had to pay for a chiropractor to do a clinical assessment and then had to pay for an upright MRI.

It took further consultations with another orthopaedic consultant, yet another orthopaedic consultant, a neurological registrar and then back to the first orthopaedic consultant to finally get a correct diagnosis.

In all that time, only the chiropractor and the neuro reg did a physical exam.

I have been diagnosed with DDD at L4-5 with posteriolateral reherniation and I'm heaving a fusion done in March.

Rant over!

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 525
    edited 01/25/2015 - 3:59 AM
    I definitely do not have that problem. I'm always being poked, prodded, pulled or pushed on somewhere or the other by my doctors. I have several of them, PCD, Endo, GI, Rheumy, PM and starting Tuesday PT again. I have great doctors and a lot of health problems, all of them are with the same hospital. Each of them are aware of all the various issues and each doctors notes, records and test results are at the others fingertips. Each of them do spend a fair amount of time with me, touching, talking, going over results & figuring out what's next. Sometimes, I do wish I had to be touched less.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    That has been huge problem for me, all about the scans it seems
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    edited 01/25/2015 - 10:48 AM
    All of my doctors for the past 30 years have always had a hands on presence. That is just another way for them to confirm what diagnostic reports indicate.
    Before there were MRIs, EMGs, etc, Physicians depend on their clinical examinations to identify a problem. Thats perhaps why I feel my doctor is one of the best and on the opposite side, I feel sorry for those who have patients who dont touch them.

Perhaps once you touch, then you begin to feel ... so without touching >...............
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ...but not a lot. They check my strength and reflexes, etc. The symptoms and the diagnostics are very clear in my situation and im sure we all have different situations. One thing I did notice is you see a lot of orthos. With regards to my spine and nerve issues, I've always gone to a Neurosurgeon. They are different fields. As for a chiro touching me, ain't happening. Just my $.02.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    I guess I need to edit my statement the drs always have checked reflexes and done the push pull for strength but never really touched my back tin the places I am hurting to see what's tender or inflamed but I would assume that's not nearly as important as the reflexes, I actually got the best hands on eval always by chirp and massage therapists. Not that the r drs but masseuse always knew an issue was going on and sure enough eventually a dr would find something in that area structurally damaged. PT always seemed to do more thorough touching also to figure ge out issue than my dr
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.