Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Methadone/physeptone to come of oxycontin

Hi guys,
I had 12 level ,17 hr spinal fusion surgery on Dec 1 to correct degenerative condition. Was on 20mg Oxy twice a day for 2 years pre surgery, was in hospital for 3 weeks on giant amounts of morphine and am currently at home doing re hab and part time work on 30mg morn, 20mg midday,30mg night plus the odd instant release oxy when needed(I'm on other non arcs also like lyrica, enedep etc). All is going well with recovery.
So my pain doc wants next month to start to wean me off and wants me to take methadone to do this, I was stunned when he told me as I guess it has a stigma attached to it but he and my pharmacist say it is the best way to do this. So just wondering if anyone can fill me in on experience and opinions on this RE success, strength , effectiveness etc.
Any feedback would be great cheers

• It will reduce/eliminate withdraws. They start out with low doses and increase doses until you are comfortable. They gradually take milligrams away slowly so your body doesn't have withdraws. Safer then being on prescriptions. Milligrams depend on what your on. It is reliable and the safest way to reduce the dependence with no painful side effects.

2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • While searching for meds that worked for me, my doctor had me try Methadone in place of Hydrocodone. I tell you what, it was the best I had felt in years...pain-wise. I felt like a new person, until a few days in.

I noticed my sleep pattern had been affected and was starting to feel drowsy and nod off all the time.....kind of like being on Morphine. That wasn't cool considering what I do for a living and the 45 mile drive each way. It was just not worth the risk....but the pain was minimal.

Now, that was just MY experience. Who knows how others process the medication. I totaly understand the "stigma" you heard about Methadone......being for herion addicts kicking the habit. At the point I was at, I just wanted medication that helped alleviate the pain and didn't care how else it was used. Funny thing is now that I'm taking Percocet for my back, I feel the "stigma" that's associated with THAT medication. No one gives me accusing or judgemental looks at the pharmacy....nothing like that, but I certainly don't tell anyone what kind of meds I take for fear of all kinds of negative reactions.

Good luck with your recovery. You've been through a lot so it will take time to get back to good.

Herniated discs, L4 &L5, L5 & S1
    Spinal stenosis, L4 & L5
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I had never realized that docs did this to help pain patients get off the heavy doses of narcotics! My docs have been increasing my meds each month until I'm comfortable enough to get into a full physical rehab and then they said I could come off the narcotics. I have been quietly freaking about "withdrawal hell" but now I'm SO relieved about this. I see signs about Methadone at the pain clinic and I thought they had it for people who (oops) got addicted!
    Thanks so much for asking about this, Evsolutions!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)