Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thanks for letting me join .....

DebB58DDebB58 Posts: 17
edited 01/27/2015 - 2:04 PM in New Member Introductions
...the club I'm sure no one really wants to belong to, be is glad there is such a place to come.

My name is Debbie, I'm a 56 y/o female from NE Ohio. My pain began in June 2014, I get sharp radiating, shooting pains down the back of my legs. I have difficulty standing & sleeping as I can't stay in one position very long. I was diagnosed by having an MRI this fall, right before our daughter's wedding. Three weeks later, after pulling many strings I had an appointment with a Ortho. Surgeon. My husband ended up having unexpected open heart surgery 3 days before my appt. I ended up going to the appt by myself & hearing the also unexpected news that I needed surgery. There was no way we could both not be driving and laid up at the same time so I put things off.

The more I talked to people the more a Neuro Surgeon opinion was suggested. I'm not new to that field, I've been fighting a benign brain tumor called a "meningioma" since '99 & have had surgery, Gamma Knife Radiation, 30 sessions of IMRT radiation, a second surgery & a second Gamma Knife over 15 years. It appears we may have finally stabilized that 16 years later and now this comes along.... I've decided I will go with a Spinal NS at where I've received my other treatments.

We've also had plans since last March to go on a yearly vacation to southern Mexico in February, so scheduling surgery was put off again. Now the pain is really getting to me, so I've scheduled surgery for a couple weeks after we get home on March 18th.

I found out what I will be having is a laminectomy, resection of synovial cyst, decompression & instrumented fusion. The 4th & 5th lumbar vertebrae will be fused. When he does the laminectomy (removing part of the back of the vertebra to decompress and get to the cyst) he will use that piece of the bone to make a graft.

I will be meeting with my NS to go over specifics during my pre-op appointments. I've gained quite a bit of knowledge from all of you already, looking forward to learning more.
~Debbie
Surgery 3/18/15 for Synovial Cyst L5 & Fusion
advertisement