Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here I am

StracySStracy Posts: 4
edited 01/27/2015 - 8:11 PM in New Member Introductions
I hope Im in the right place. I read that I shoukd introduce myself before I start posting, but I couldn't find a place to introduce myself, so I hope this is it.

I started having issues with arm and shoukd pain in feb of 2014. By August of 2014, the pain was all the way down my shoulder, arm, and fingers. I was diagoised with frozen shoulder and began physical therapy in August 2014. From the first time met my PT she told me she didn't think my issue was in my shoulder, but she thought it was my neck. She worked a lot with my neck, and things she did seemed to help.
However, by November 2014, I was in such constant pain, I could barely work, I was not getting through thr day without a bottle of ibrupphin, and hot pads and ice packs. Went into the doc and schedule shoulder manipulation surgery for Dec 14.
Bad, bad mistake.
I felt ok after that surgery, but four days later my world spun out of control!
I was in such pain I couldn't walk. The only way I could get relief was reclining, within a few days that was gone too, and the only way I could get relief was holding onto my neck with my head almost in my lap.
My PT couldn't touch me without hurting me,
Of course this was all going on during the Christmas holidays,, and my doctor had decided to tske a three week vacation....not only my surgeon was on vacation but my family doctor too was gone.
Long story short, it's hard to get pain pills when your doctor is on vacation...so i went without.
Finally saw my surgeon, who sent me to a spinal doctor, who found two ruptured disks.
I don't know w whole lot avout this. By that time I was in so much pain I couldnt cope.
He said surgery, I said how soon, I was in within five days,
I didn't have time to research anything, I didn't have a chance to do a second opinion,, I just blindly trusted this guy,
Surgery was 1.21.15' it will be a week tomorrow,
I had a acdf anterior cervical diskecotomies and fusion on c5 and c6.
I have felt better, as in the pain is magically gone,, on the average pain scale mine pain was a 20! Way off the charts,
But as far as feeling sick, out of it, like I'm going to die... That's how I feel now,
I was in the ER room Sunday with a very high white blood cell count, obviously an infection of some kind. They gave me antibiotics and now, I think two days later? I'm feeling a little more alive,
I haven't been able to eat, and I
My daughter suggested I start counting calories,, 400-500 a day sat, sun, Monday,, with less then twenty oz of water each day ( I had unfinished water bottles each day)
Today, I've made a concentrated effort to eat, got 770 calories in me today,, and drink 20 oz if you count tea,,
I want to get better, I want to get back to work,
I'm so scared, I've been out of work since before thanksgiving and as a single woman living alone, funds are getting scary low.
I'm hoping that some of you can help guide me and teach me the right things to do to get me on the right track to recovery so I can get back to work.

So that's my introduction, hope it is sufficient,, If I've done it wrong, posted in the wrong place or whatever, please let me know so I can learn.

I hope I can become a part of this forum and learn from you guys,, and then when I'm on the road to recovery, I hope I can help others who are in this same confusing boat as I am right now,

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    I'm sorry to hear that you got an infection after your surgery. I think your daughter has the right idea about keeping track of what you're eating & drinking. You need to nourish your body to heal. Just remember that you had major surgery & it's going to take a while to feel better. Probably months. Follow your surgeons instructions & don't overdo it. Walking is good to do. Not sure where you live, but if you can, get outside & get some fresh air. It helps you mentally. I live in Pennsylvania & even though it's only 15 degrees outside, I still put on my coat & boots & at least walk around my yard. Good luck with your recovery!
  • StracySStracy Posts: 4
    edited 01/28/2015 - 12:02 PM
    this is my first 'major' surgery. Even the surgery I had a month ago was considered minor and until the complication showed up, I felt good enough to go to work a few days after.
    This time I feel like I've been hit by a bus! I didn't expect to feel so terrible but I also didn't have much time to look into it.

I live in oklahoma and it's been an amazing 76-80 degree week! For,the first time today, i walked into my yard toMolokai at my trees,and you are so right, the fresh air made me feel so good!
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    Wow! 80 degrees! That's my kind of winter! Have you had a follow up appt with your doctor since your surgery?