Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need a February 2015 Surgery Buddy!

Emmiesmom209EEmmiesmom209 Posts: 1
edited 01/27/2015 - 7:28 PM in Surgery Buddies
If there is anyone out there that is having surgery in February 2015 I would love to be able to share my experiences with you. I am new to this forum and beyond petrified of surgery. I am having a 2 stage surgery on February 16th and the 23rd. Stage 1 will be a decompression and Osteotomy of the sacrum, and stage 2 will be decompression/fusion and L5 Osteotomy. Thanks!
Having a 2 stage surgery February 16th and the 23rd of 2015.

Stage 1- Decompression, Osteotomy Sacrum
Stage 2- Decompression/ fusion, L5 Osteotomy

All posterior approach
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there,
    I too am scheduled for surgery in February. I'm going in for an ALIF with posterior hardware revision. If you'd like to chat more, let me know :)
    TLIF w/ Facetectomy March 2013
    ALIF with disc implants and hardware revision February 2015
  • Hi everyone
    I'm new to this forum but been reading up on my forthcoming ACDF on C56 C67. MRS and xrays, sent me to neurosurgeon whom I didn't like but knew she was right. I made an appt to have a 2nd opinion with a local ortho.surgeon. He confirmed and proceeded to tell me that while the surgery is a risk- I am at risk just walking around because of the damage that would result to my cord if I fell or got rear ended. This scared me. But so have the boards here. For now I am in PT to strengthen the neck muscles. Next appt is in 5 days. It's time to pick a date for surgery. But how do I pick a dr?
  • Hi There,

This evening I was researching and trying to find all I can about preparing myself for surgery. I discovered this group/forum and was thrilled. I'm nervous as well and would love to have another part of support as I go through this. Pretty neat to also offer support to someone else as well.

I'm scheduled for surgery on February 25th. I having my is joint fused, right side with I-Fuse. It has been need for a very long time and I've battle insurance for quite sometime. It was exciting and nerve wrecking to get the news I would be having surgery so soon now. So I'm busy trying to prepare myself, my family, my work, and more.

Being new to this I'm very unfamiliar but hopefully will get he hang of it! Would be great to have support for each other as we go through surgery. :-)
    ~Rian~

Mother of 2 & Preschool Teacher
  • I am scheduled for L4-5,L5-S1 ALIF surgery with possible pedicel screws on Feb 18th and am glad to find people that can help talk with me about this as we go through it. I had a discectomy in May 2013 for an injury and I am hoping this fixes the rest of the pains and gets me back to a place where I can enjoy my hobbies. I'm lucky enough to be a dad to 2 little girls (1.5, & 3.5 years old) and can't wait to be healed and playing with them. I did learn one major lesson from my previous surgery which is to follow the orders of the surgeon to a T. I was picking up my new born a month and a half after surgery and paid for it. Hope everyone has a successful surgery!
    TSgt John Godfrey
  • centen1ccenten1 Posts: 1
    edited 02/07/2015 - 8:51 PM
    I am scheduled for a laminectomy on Feb 20th. This is my second one. I had one on the same disk about a year ago on the other side. I was hoping pt would fix this but I am in so much pain now the dr said go straight for surgery. I hope everyone's surgery goes well. Do not to try to recover too fas . Remember once you have had spinal surgery you will always have to be mindful of your activities I thought I could go back to normal but cannot. Your back will never be as good as it was despite your doctor's claims.
  • I'm scheduled at the end of the month for an ALIF with posterior fixation. I had been scheduled for March; but due to developing foot drop, my OS moved it up (thankfully). I'm mom to a wonderful 2 1/2 yr old boy - and can't wait to be the active mom I want to be. once I'm recovered, that is. I wish you all the best., and can't wait to read up on your success stories. :)
  • I hope your surgery went well today! Let us know how things are going when you feel better. I have my surgery in 2 days at 0730 and the anxiety is growing. Take it easy! :-)
    TSgt John Godfrey
  • gspmanggspman Posts: 2
    edited 02/18/2015 - 6:43 AM
    Scheduled for L5/S1 fusion ALIF with posterior fixation 2/26/15.
    Have hi hopes for a speedy recovery so that i can get on with life instead of dealing with pain, stiffness, numbness, tingling, burning all the time. It wont be easynor quick I am sure.

So does my wife.
    Wishing all of you the best of luck
  • I had my ALIF at L45 & L5S1 this morning. The Dr. Was able to put screws and the cages all from the front. I do not have any radiating pain or any nerve pain. The incision hurts some but nothing horrible. I already walked around the nurse station! I know things can change but I am so happy things are going amazing considering. Keep your head up and I hope y'all have a good surgery
    TSgt John Godfrey
  • I'm a little late joining the thread as my surgery was Monday 2/16. I had an L5 Laminectomy /w L5-S1 Discectomy. Everything seems to have went well. All my leg pain I was having seems to be gone. Occasionally I get a bit of residual nerve pain which can be expected.
    This was my first surgery and let me tell you. I knew I would be sore afterwards but this has been a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I can, however , feel a little bit of improvement with each passing day thus far.
    If anyone is having a similar procedure and has any questions please feel free to ask. I wish all of you the best of luck with your surgeries and recovery.
    Best wishes, Chris
  • I see today (2/20/15) is your big day. I'm hoping everything goes well with your surgery. Please come back and let us know how your doing as soon as you feel well enough to do so.
    Best of luck to you with everything, Chris
  • I was discharged last night. I only spent one night with a multi level alif! The whole Laxative the thing keep me up all night but it's getting better. I have a wallet being delivered today and I'm taking 20mg Percocet every 4 hours for pain control that is working. I truly hope everyone is doing well.
    TSgt John Godfrey
  • Glad to hear that everything went well for you Surfaugy. It is such a comforting feeling just to be home, isn't it? I found it amazing how the pain meds never helped with my pre-op pains, but now, post- op, they really help tremendously. Anyways, I wish you the best with your recovery and please continue to update us and let us know how your doing.
    Chris
  • Hi all I had my TLIF on my l5-s1 on 9/2 - deep in the throes of recovery now. This is really tough! Brings new appreciation to the phrase "no pain no gain"! How is everyone else doing this evening? ( I'm in the UK)
    TLIF L5-S1 09/02/2015
  • Just checking in from my procedure on the 9th. I had an ALIF done, vertebral spacers implanted at L5-S1 with a cage system and then turned over for posterior hardware to be removed. I ended up having abdominal prophylactic mesh placement as well to prevent future hernia development. I'm on the mend, but there is still quite a lot of pain. Sutures and overall incisions are healing well. I'm doing a lot of small walks throughout the day with the aid of a walker and am on the countdown until I'm cleared for PT.
    TLIF w/ Facetectomy March 2013
    ALIF with disc implants and hardware revision February 2015
  • Hey - we had our surgery the exact same day! How are you doing with the turning over and log rolling pain now...?
    TLIF L5-S1 09/02/2015
  • I will be having a 2nd Discectomy at L5-S1 on Friday!! My Neurosurgeon called me with my results from my upright MRI and said that I rehernaited it but the hernation is a lot worse than the first time!! My leg weakness is so bad that I am in a wheelchair 24/7 so that is why my Neurosurgeon is doing my surgery this Friday! I pray y'all are recovering well!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
    Ashley
  • Cml71CCml71 Posts: 13
    edited 02/25/2015 - 1:41 AM
    Hoping the best for you Clarinetgirl (Ashley) . I've only recently had my first Discectomy and i know how mentally and physically
    exhausting the whole road to recovery can be. I could only imagine how i would feel if i were to have to go through it again. I'll be thinking of you and wish you the best with everything. If there is one thing i found along the way is that it's so nice to find others who truly know what your going through to talk to. Please keep us updated on how your doing. Best of luck, Chris
  • I am a little nervous because I know what to expect recovery wise!! Thank you for your encouragement!! I pray that your recovery is going well!!
    Ashley
  • nutmegxoxoxonnutmegxoxoxo Posts: 14
    edited 03/15/2015 - 10:58 AM
    Hi folks -- hope everyone's surgeries went well! I just had my L4/L5 microdiscectomy at the end of Feb, and I'm feeling OK but can't walk more than a quarter mile or so without feeling that same old shooting pain down my left leg and butt. I'm petrified the surgery didn't take. Staying positive, though! Anyone in the same boat?
  • I just had my 2nd Discectomy at L5-S1 on February 27th. I am doing okay. I have been in a lot more post op pain than last time. My leg gets really weak and collapses on me if I walk more than half a mile. I also still have twinges of nerve pain every now and again as well. I have my first post op appointment on Friday the 20. I will be 3 weeks post op at my appointment. I pray that everyone s recovery is going well!!
    Ashley
  • Hope everyone is doing well with their recovery.
    I'm currently just past 4 weeks post op and overall feeling great. I still have the occasional bit of nerve pain in my ankle or buttock but only when i push myself a little too far with bending, twisting, etc.. Nothing like the constant throbbing in my buttock and numbness in my lower leg/foot like i had pre-op.
    I also seem to feel very stiff when i first wake up in the mornings, but once i'm up and moving it goes right away.
    I'm scheduled for my 2nd follow-up with surgeon in 2 weeks. I'm hoping by then he will give me the green light to go back to work and start my physical therapy.
    So far i'm very happy i had the surgery. I hope everyone else is doing just as well. Remember to take it easy and not push yourselves too hard.
    Best wishes, Chris
  • Hi all, 3 weeks out from an ALIF at L5/S1 with decompression of the nerves, and minimally invasive posterior fixation.

Was doing amazing up until last weekend. Sciatic pain came roaring back, to the point I ended up back at the surgeon's office. After X-rays to make sure it wasn't my cage moving around, He feels it's the nerve in the right leg causing some moderate to severe hip and ankle pain. He actually increased my medication. (Big bummer - I want to get off of these meds!)

Surgeon also said no PT until 3 months. Does that seem like a long time out?

Hope everyone else is doing well! Happy spring!
  • I am now 1 month and 4 days out from my 2nd Discectomy. My 3 week post op appointment went great! My Neurosurgeon said I will not be doing any physiotherapy this time around. He was very happy with my progress so far. But when my Mom and I were driving home from my appointment I felt this sharp/ shooting pain in my back. Right then I new that something was very wrong!!! Ever since I have had horrific nerve pain in both my legs. Also before my 2nd Discectomy I was in a wheelchair 24/7 because my leg weakness was so bad I could not walk!! Now I can't walk again and I feel as bad as I did before surgery. I am not sure what happened or what to do!! I will more than likely call my Neurosurgeon office tomorrow morning!!!

Littleone - My Uncle had a fusion and did not have PT till he was 3 months post op!

I pray all of my surgery buddies are doing well!!!
    Ashley
advertisement