Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post op and exhausted

Hi all. 8 wks out from l5 s1 fusion with hardware and I'm still exhausted. I'm not on any narcotics anymore and some days the muscle aches and pains are awful. Supposed to go back to work soon and I can't even imagine it. Started pt recently and some days have barely the energy to do one set of exercises let alone two! Just wondering when the energy returns. I'm 52 so am sure age plays a part. Had no idea this would be such an exhausting process. How's everyone else doing?

• I would say that you sound like you're right on track. This is a hard surgery and I'm wiped out at 36...I can't imagine going through this at 50+. I'm about 4 months out from my fusion and it has gotten better, slowly but surely. I had some complications with severe nerve damage causing my foot to not function properly which has added a bit more work than the "average" fusion patient. At around 6-7 weeks post surgery, I felt like I hit a turning point regarding the pain and was able to go back to sleeping in bed (Glorious!!) and sleeping through the night, drastically reducing the pain meds, but physical therapy was still absolutely exhausting.

I know it's tough, but you sound like you're right where you should be.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • hoggsterhhoggster ScotlandPosts: 54
    I was great and then bang pain back down left leg numb calf ankle , been to hospital today getting mri 2 weeks time surgeon thinks I might have re herniated :( but I not done anything except what im allowed to do and im very strict as I need to get back to work 6 months off , if I have re herniated whats the outlook or advice please