Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just got back today from acdf c5-c6

well im sore lol..... not were they cut but the backside of the neck?????? at this point with the meds im comfortable ... so well see how it progressives ill keep in touch with posts. by the way is there a reason why the back of neck hurts . as the cut is on front??

• I'm no expert,, I had my acdf c5 and c6 done a week ago. I asked the doctor the same question, why does the back of my neck hurt?
    My doctor, which excellent in his field, lacks bedside manner and doesn't explain well (as noted in his online reviews, but he's the best at what he does so I went with him)
    Anyway, when I asked, why the back of my neck hurts he says,,, because I operated on it lol.
    Yes, the incision is at the front, but everything he did is in the back. The cutting, the fusion, etc.

Btw,, you said u just got back? How long were u in the hospital? The day I got out, after spending 36 hours in the hospital, I hurt to bad to even sit up enough to hold my iPad.

Good luck
  • I think its just from them working on the spine. I'm 5 days out and mine hurts too but it feels like a bone kind of hurt, if that makes sense.
  • I had acdf in September and my doctor explained beforehand that my shoulders and neck would feel like someone beat me up because of the nerves being irritated and the muscles were were disrupted from the surgery. It should go away after a bit of time...
    Tracie C
  • I was there overnight on the 27 . and act sent my last post from hosp bed that same night I think .. for me the hardest part I think was the mental play... worrying about the surgery if that makes any sense ....I feel that 1/2 inch bone graph and tendon reattachment to ankle was more of a hassle comfort and pain wise . than this surgery just knocked on some wood but will keep all posted thanks all steve....
  • I had a 2 level Anterior Cervical fusion and disc removal of c4/5 and c5/6 just 10 weeks ago. I was in the hospital overnight and had a pretty bad time of it. Sick to my stomach on meds and anesthesia most all of the night. Neck/head pain was terrible, especially with the hurling into bed pan .
    Everybody responds differently. Neck, shoulder, and sometimes arm pain can be expected. I was violently ill on the pain meds and muscle relaxers they had prescribed. I personally do not do well with these type of prescriptions as I get most all of the side effects.
    Don't overdo it!!! Your body does need time to heal and that varies from person to person. I am still recovering and trying to stay positive.
  • I am 6 days out of a hybrid c4 c5 acdf / c5 c6 adr and my biggest issue is pain in the back of the neck. It is aggravated the most when getting up from laying down. Did your pain subside yet?
  • I had a 2 level ACDF c4/5 and c 5/6. I am 12 weeks post-op. I am not quite sure what the ADR is.
    Yes , I did experience a great deal of pain in the back of my neck. It was hard or me to raise my head off the pillow and the pillow actually hurt my head. I was pretty miserable for the first few weeks. I was always a side sleeper. Forget about that. I did learn that you should try to sleep on your back as much as possible.
    Do you have or had any arm problems?
    Hope you feeling a bit better
  • I had my surgery 10/15/14 and to this day I still ache on the back side of my neck and between the shoulder blades. Feels like someone "karate-chopped" me in the back of the neck. It's a daily feeling of a "stiff neck". Don't get me wrong, it definitely helped by taking away that dull ache and numbness down my neck, shoulder and arm...I would do it again in a heartbeat...Listen to your body. If you're hesitant about doing the things you were doing before give it a little more time. Unless you're a pro athlete getting paid big bank take the 30-40-50 yr plan option. Their playing careers require them to be active a helluva lot sooner! :-)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    An ACDF involves surgery from the front of the neck and all hardware is in front of the vertebrae, not the back. . However surgical positioning as well as new cervical body mechanics can cause overall neck pain, back and front. Now that the single level is fused, the muscles in the neck change how they work which takes time to get used to.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • You post about doing it again in a heart beat despite some stiff neck issues is really encouraging! I'm getting a one level done in a few weeks so I am loving everyone's realistic comments.