Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Words never to use

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
edited 01/29/2015 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
When you are a patient you want to be able to work with the medical field in the most efficient and productive manner.

That means that communication is so valuable. How you discuss things with your doctors, nurses, hospitals, insurance companies, etc can make such a difference.

Here are some phrases that you should never use:

• - I demand
    - I insist
    - Give me
    - I want more
    - I need
    - I am not going to
The two that most doctors and other medical professionals will react negatively towards is I demand and insist. When you see a doctor, you are placing your healthcare in their hands. They are the ones with the education and training to be able to identify problems and to come up with action plans.

Way too often I hear members here tell others... Demand that your doctor orders a MRI, or Insist that your doctor does this or that That will get you no where. Sure, it can be frustrating when you see doctors and are looking for answers. Many times those answers are not quick in coming. So, demanding a MRI is the wrong approach. Based on everything your doctor has reviewed with you, they will be in the best position to determine if a MRI is warranted. Us lay folks do not have the background or knowledge to demand anything.

Today's health care industry makes it harder and harder for procedures to be approved. Therefore, doctors need to be able to completely justify their requests and provide the rationale for this or that. Because a patient demands a MRI , but., the doctor clearly see that there is no rationale to warrant doing so, no MRI is going to be ordered..

That is just an example. I believe a much better approach would be

Are there tools or tests that can be done to help identify my problem?

Here you are asking your doctor for their input, they will be the ones to initiate various courses of action.

This applies to medications, treatments and so much more. I have talked with doctors who have patients (no names off course) that complain how much they hurt and want pain medications. The doctor first recommends physical therapy or other conservative treatment. The patient says

No, I want pain medication

Two bad things there. One, you flat out refused a recommendation from a doctor and two you demanded medications. That alone would raise a flag.

Bottom line, dealing with the medical field is no different than dealing with any service organization. Just because we pay for those services, does not entitle us to demand anything.

There are so many better ways in working within the system. After all, I believe the final objective we are all after is to become as pain free as possible.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• shortfuse5691sshortfuse5691 Posts: 407
    edited 01/29/2015 - 7:53 AM
    I work in the medical field and I really like how you discussed this topic. I work for 27 doctors and had 4 years of medical school and that's a great discussion topic. You are right!!! I've heard many things and this approach is best.

2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.