Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Must lose at least 75 pounds post spinal fusion! Help!!!

I am 15 days post L4 L5 TLIF ( spinal fusion). Doc told us I had absolutely no back muscles. I am six foot tall , have had horrible posture for my entire 30 years on the planet, and must lose at least 80 lbs to prevent even further spinal damage! I have DDD, arthritis, and stenosis.

Anyone have any advice on particular diets or eating plans? Since all I can do exercise wise for probably at least the next six months per doctor / physical therapist my diet is going to be a huge aspect.

Currently trying to simply do clean eating, smaller portions, more frequent meals, and cut out all the bad stuff! Walking about 1.75 miles daily. Getting more each day! I'm just desperate for help!

Thanks!
Nicklr32
advertisement

Comments

• shortfuse5691sshortfuse5691 Posts: 407
    edited 01/29/2015 - 2:31 PM
    Me and my husband are losing weight by drinking lots of water.
    Don't drink soda.
    Eliminate the salt.
    Fresh fruit and veggies are good.
    No junk food.
    Walking is good.
    Good luck.....
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Your two weeks out from surgery, no way possible for you to lose 80lbs. Your fusion if all goes well it's going to take 2-3 months before you can get active again. Although it's never to late to lose the weight if I were you I would just brace for your surgery and come what may...

After I had surgery I didn't want to eat and the three months that followed I dropped from 280 to 225 without a diet. I did not start gaining that weight back for 10 months after my surgery. Every one is different and although you did not ask for this information based on your question and based on my experience I'd say it's the most realistic answer I can give you.

Your going in for surgery in two weeks start with that. I'm surprised your more worried about the weight loss than the surgery itself.
  • Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 332
    edited 02/24/2015 - 3:09 AM
    It is a smart phone app that will help you count your calories.

It's simple. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight, even if it is a sedentary lifestyle you are leading. Download this app and start there. It will make you think every time u reach for that bad food. Of course there is more to weight loss than this, bit lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet. THIS IS A START. Incorporate changes as you go, but deal with it a step at a time so that you don't over think things and overwhelm yourself in the process.

Doug
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • cspencer13ccspencer13 CaliforniaPosts: 37
    Maybe look into eating Paleo or look at the Whole30 eating plan. What I like about them is that there is a big focus on learning about how your foods affect your health. I eat Whole30 about 80% of the time and I lost weight but I also know how to eat so I feel the best I can feel. And I also now have a different outlook and am I lot more in tune with foods that make me feel better or worse. I'm recovering from fusion surgery right now and I feel like eating clean has been a tremendous help. 
    Cyndi
    39y.o. mom of 4
    3/2/16 - L5/S1 fusion after a decade of trying everything else
    2015 - developed Occipical Neuralgia and bulges at C4/5 and C5/6
  • As soon as i cut out the sodas?
    Around a week later about a lb or two..easy.
    More veggies, fiberous fodder

What helped me personally the most was just slowing down
    Letting the carbs hit the brain and let them tell its ok to eat smaller.
    Really..feel the food you eat, instead of a full plate, a smaller one and that helped me immensely.

Now for the other 150..
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

advertisement