Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my first EMG / Nerve Test....

I am a 43 year old male with current L5 - S1 disc herniation with impingement on the left S1 nerve root. I am fairly active and still work full time doing construction work.
My pain started about 10 years ago in the butt/ rear hip area on my left side. Has progressed over the years from a mild/occasional pain to a constant pain. Over the past year I started getting the shooting pain down rear of left leg and a good bit of numbness/pain in my calf/ankle/foot. It was only last year that I went to Orthopedic Dr to figure out what was causing pain. Had X-rays then MRI.
Among other back issues that are not currently a problem they indicated the herniation that the Dr is sure is causing my pains.
I have done most of the conservative treatments. PT, numerous anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers, etc... No real relief from anything. Recently had 2 TFSI's which felt great for the first few hours while the numbing medication was taking effect but by the next day my symptoms were worse. Been a little over two weeks since my injections and though it has mellowed out a bit I still feel worse than before.
Pain Management doc offered to try more injections. I declined so he felt it was time I go talk to a surgeon. I met with Ortho- spine surgeon this past week. He wanted me to go for the EMG. So I scheduled that for the next day(Yesterday).
The whole EMG procedure on my left leg was not so bad , for me anyways. I had read so many horror stories about it beforehand that I was a bit nervous. The first part where they lightly shock you I felt was worse than the needles in the muscles. Overall at was a little uncomfortable but really not bad.
Anyways, the EMG did reveal some mild nerve damage on the suspected S1 nerve . He also found that all my nerves are a bit slow to react. He told me this is "Neuropathy" . This is all new to me and it seems now i'm gonna have to find out the cause of it.
So I am back to the surgeon this week and probably gonna be scheduling my first discectomy.
If anyone here can give me some personal experiences and knowledge of this "neuropathy" it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for letting me tell a bit of my tale. It's so nice to have a place like this to talk to others who truly understand what you're going through.

Thanks again, Chris