Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One week till surgery

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everybody,

I only posted a couple of times on the old site but I have continued to follow everyone and am trying to adjust to the new site.

I am Kelly (there seem to be a lot of us lol so you can call me Kelly Jo if ya want). I had written on the old site about being a Dynesys candidate . So I am scheduled for a 1-2 level fusion of my l4 l5 s1 (depends on how things look when he gets in there)I finished my blood donation today with the second unit. I learned today that my iron level is low, I'm feeling sluggish but not too bad. Surgery is next Thursday July 10th. I will be the first patient of the day yay! a fresh surgeon! I had my pre-op apmt on Tuesday and was fitted the same day for my brace. I get to pick up my custom made brace on Mon. they want me to wear it some and get used to it. I had my ekg and everything is a go. I am freaking out a bit. The problem is that my back and leg have been quite good this last week or so. The only thing really bugging me is the buzzing tingling cold numb-ish feeling in my left foot and leg. I keep 2nd guessing if I should have surgery???? I know I have spondy with a pars defect and the plan is to decompress and add the Dynesys hardware. I will also be fused using an auto graft. This seems different than most Dynesys patients??? My surgery was scheduled two months ago so my whole life has felt as though it centered around this and now I am scared :O big shocker hugh? I can't help but wonder if I am doing the "right" thing. My NS says I will be in the hospital for about 5 days. I am so not looking forward to this. I know there are 2 or 3 of you having your surgeries next week too. I will keep you in mind. I am so glad I found you guys. I feel like I am going into this with the facts.

Thanks for everything.

• From experience, just because you are feeling better, the underlying problem is still there just waiting to rear it's ugly head and take a bite.

Only you can decide what is right for you. We all have to make personal decisions that are difficult. But don't let your nerves make the decision for you. :)

Best of luck!!!!!!
  • Kelly Jo, I was the same the week or 2 before my op. All of a sudden I was feeling not so bad and was starting to second guess if it was necessary.
    Then I had a pre-op X-ray, took one look at it and decided that I couldn't not have it.
    It is probably just the jitters/denial etc as these are big procedures but as long as you have support here and at home you are going to do fine!

Blessings Sara
  • Kelly Jo, My surgery was June 10 and I did the same thing, 1 week before I was feeling better than I had in months, I kept saying "am I doing the right thing". Since I woke up in recovery all that pain and numbness (mine was in left leg) and pain in back and hips was gone only pain I have had has been from inscision. Wishing you the best of luck and a pain free recovery. Sherrie
  • Hi Kelly Jo,

What you are experiencing is quite common, it is the same thing when you take your car to the mechanic because of the odd noises it is making, and when you get there your car purrs like a kitty cat. Many people on this site feel suddenly better just before surgery to the point of questioning its necessity. I think it is a psychological illusion. If your tests (Xray, MRI, CT scan) indicate that you need surgery and you have been suffering and nothing can releive your pain, you do need the surgery. So enjoy whatever relief you have, be prepared, eat a healthy diet and adopt a positive attitude and everything will go just fine.

Good luck! :) :) :)

• Kelly,

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery. I am having a 2 level l4-s1 Fusion on 7/8 as well. It was orig. scheduled for 6/24 but was postponed due to an emergency.

I think that we all have good and bad days but ultimately the problem is still there.