Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

timothyA.R.ttimothyA.R. Posts: 1
edited 02/01/2015 - 8:40 PM in Pain Management
I'm writing this post because I'm 16 years old and an only child taking care of my mother who has severe chronic pain. (degenerate disc disease, many herniated and bulging discs, scoliosis, and spinalstenosis) and her pain not being under control has literally destroyed our entire lifestyle and our entile lives period... Every surgeon we go to tells us to go to pain management because its so severe they're afraid to operate. But that's not even the half of it we have been to almost every surgeon and they all say the same thing and we have been to almost every pain management in 3 major cities and not one of them will even look at her MRI reports or pictures and evdr since her doctor that knew wat she needed quit we have been buying pills from family members and not because she's addicted but because some people are really in excruciating pain every second of they're life and its already no way to live and now she's losing her whole life savings because not a single doctor will even take the time to understand what's really happened and look at the MRI's because asoon as they see that she already has pain killers in her system they just assume she's a drug addict and don't look any further.... our whole lives have been ruined becuse of these awful doctors thinking that someone with such severe excruciating pain can go without surgery or pain medication and the fact that its so bad no surgeon will even attempt to operate should say something about how much pain she's in... i can't finish my story though its much to long but i think you get the point so PLEASE we are so so very desperate PLEASE I am begging anyone that may can help us to come forward with anything u have to offer a doctor that will understand or any suggestion of how to get the doctors to understand or just write the script.... this is no way to live and it has taken its toll on my mother and me and its still taking from us and I'm afraid we don't have much left to take so please anyone that can help please comment and get this story out so people will know how these doctors have neglected a patient in need because of they're incompetence and how our lives have been completely ruined because of them we could no longer afford our home from buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of pills and its all because of these awful doctors and its just so unbelievable that a single mother and her teenage son have to life this kind of life all because of the incompetence of doctors these days and i know there's other people out there dealing with this but because of all the people abusing these drugs pain doctors write someone like my mother who is truly in this awful severe pain every day of her life is looked at as just another drug abuser and its ridiculous so please anyone i will take any advice and i don't mind at all if you want to share this story..thank you

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm shocked to hear you've been buying tens of thousands of dollars worth of pain killers off the streets. That needs to stop ASAP if you want a doctor to treat your mom. Do you understand you're playing Russian roulette by buying street drugs? For all you know, you could be getting a completely different drug than what you think. It's possible your mother needs to go to detox and get clean before she can get help.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I understand your pain. Really I do. Living in Canada, I'm not sure I understand the USA and your DEA combined with your stiff laws, but I do understand that those laws are in place so that people don't abuse the system. Obviously, the problem there is much, much bigger than here because we don't have to sign anything or follow any strict guidelines. I haven't had a pee test in the full year + that I've been taking narcotics and my Doctor didn't ask me to sign anything. We also have an effective Health Care System in place here (thank God).

Again, I understand her pain as I have been in pain and continue to go through it, but you need to listen carefully. The only way your Mom is going to be able to be treated is to check herself into a detox program (whether she is or isn't an addict). You simply cannot beat the system, so succumb to it. Get her in ASAP. This is the only way she is going to be able to start to begin to get treatment. Clean the slate and start fresh. Put the harshness and anger aside for a moment and start to think meticulously. Put your plan of action in place NOW! Please do not delay. Check her in immediately. Things always have a weird way of working themselves out, but you can't fix what you don't acknowledge. Stop playing the blame game. If you can't beat em, join em. This is your ONLY option in my opinion.

Please keep us updated and informed. Don't disappear on us. I'm on here every morning. If you need help, feel free to send me a PM. I promise that I will do all that I can to help. You are one helluva Son, I can tell you that much.

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • The meds your giving her could very well be what's causing the pain intensity. It's complicated how the body processes chemicals, but the best thing that can happen is what Sarah recommended. Wean her off the street drugs. Here are a few tips in looking for a doctor who may be willing to treat her;

* - When your mom see's the doctor the first time, understand they probably will not prescribe strong opioid medications at first.

*- Allow the doctor to treat your mom which may consist of injections and other procedures that may not directly go to surgery.

*- Consider physical rehab. Even though it may not relieve all her pain, they can potentially make her more comfortable. Water therapy (Aqua Therapy) is amazing.

* - Some of the Spiney community have had very good pain relief with Eastern alternative therapy's. Acupuncture and meditation for some really work well.

*- If none of the conservative therapy's work, the Pain management doctor may recommend a spine surgeon to visit.

But, let me be brutally honest...if ANY health care provider knows that your mom is using street drugs or even meds provided by other family members, they will not touch her case with a ten foot pole. In the medical system in the USA, every doctor has to assume they will be sued (thank you ambulance chasing attorneys) if someone isn't compliant with their meds. Doctors are getting in trouble for under and over prescribing pain meds at the same time. Stop self medicating and ask her primary care doctor for a referral to pain management. Then, let the system work.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2