Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from me

paradiddle1984pparadiddle1984 Posts: 1
edited 02/02/2015 - 3:20 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone,

Just joined this forum to speak with other people who may be experiencing similar problems to me.

I'm a 30yo man living in the UK and have suffered with back pain for most of my life going back as early as age 11. This was always put down to pulled muscles, strains from being active but as I go older the flare ups of back pain seemed to get worse.

Whether a sciatica kind of pain shooting down arms/legs, intense pain in the lower back meaning I couldn't stand upright or lots of neck pain restricting my movement and shoulder pain that would keep me awake at night. I can stand up for about 20 minutes before the pain in my back so such that I have to sit down. Similarly, I can sit down for about the same stretch of time before I have to get up and move about a bit - this has made it difficult to enjoy a lot of things I've taken for granted over the years like fishing, playing drums which I've done since I was a child and going to music concerts which are typically without seating.

My back used to "go" at seemingly random times. I've always been quite active and my back never seemed to flare up when I was boxing or hiking. It would seemingly "go" when I was doing something fairly innocuous like making a coffee or walking the dog.

If I sit for too long I have started to notice my ankles/feet will feel numb which makes it difficult to stand or walk . I also get a lot of shooting pain/spasms which are typically more noticeably at night when I am in bed. Usually it'll be an involuntary jolt of my body or a leg much to my partners annoyance when she is trying to sleep.

The final straw for me after endless physio, being sent away with various medications that didn't touch the pain, chiropractors etc was me feeling like I was having a stroke with the worst pain I've ever experienced. I was fobbed off with both Tramadol and Diazepam for the umpteenth time so I insisted that I had an MRI scan because everything else I had received to-date was a remedial measure when I really wanted a diagnosis.

Anyway, I was diagnosed with fairly well-established osteoarthritis in my neck and back, a number of bulging discs and stenosis. I am currently awaiting referral to a consultant to discuss the results in more detail including long-term management of the pain.

I'm delighted that "it" finally has a name after me being a grump for years and it being down to "bad back" which I'm sure people thought was just a lame excuse.

I'm really looking for support from other people who are suffering. I've no idea what this means for me both in terms of prognosis as it seems every case is unique to a degree in terms of intesity and impact on daily life. Some seem to manage OK while others end up using wheelchairs to get around. I'm worried as I seem quite young compared to other patients who have posted online about this kind of thing. I'm concerned about whether or not things like drumming could be making it worse. I've definitely noticed that I struggle to play things I used to find more straightforward.

I'm literally in pain every day now and feel like this is taking over my life. I feel sorry for my partner who has to see me in a foul mood most of the time because I'm in agony. I generally don't want to go out and see friends because I know at some point I'll be in a lot of pain and want to leave early which then ruins her night, too.

Any support would be gratefully received.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • mpennmpenn Posts: 2
    edited 02/04/2015 - 9:54 AM
    Just joined this forum to speak with other people who may be experiencing similar problems to me. I suffer from really bad lower back pain for 15 months, until I stumble across essential oils.. I could go on and on about essential oils.. Truly a miracle..

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to spine-health
    I have to agree with you, I have used Tea tree oil as an anti inflammatory for a few years now and I find it very effective.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery