Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not Again!!! L5/S1

ptimariopptimario Posts: 2
edited 02/02/2015 - 7:19 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all, just a quick background. i had surgery on a L5/S1 herniation back in 2003, might have been a micro-d honestly can't remember. I felt great for a few years as i was a college track athlete and had built a pretty tight core. In the years since i've aggravated it from time to time with pain localized to my lower middle back and some into my right hip, no shooting pain down my left leg like pre surgery. I'd give it a couple days rest and i'd be good to go.

A month ago i injured it again doing who knows what (not sure how i injured it 12 years ago either). I was laid up for almost 3 days and could barely walk and had shooting pain from my left butt to knee. After 3 days the pain subsided and i was back to normal activites.

On 12-25-15 i went surfing in the morning and had some mild pain afterwords, and build and moved a heavy picnic table in the afternoon. As the evening went on, my back started to hurt more and more. Come Monday morning i could barely walk and the shooting pain was back. After 3 days of laying on my back i had no progress so i decided to see the doc. She prescribed some good pain meds and muscle relaxers and ordered an MRI. This past Saturday i was finally able to get up and walk with pain but not unbareable like it was.

I was able to go back to work today and just had my MRI done. L5/S1 does not look that good to me. Also, is L4/L5 bulging? What do you think? Can i fix this with rehab or should i start planning for surgery again?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 02/02/2015 - 7:26 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

The surgery option is only something you can decide after weighing up the pros and cons with your doctor but popular opinion on the forum is to exhaust all conservative treatments first.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am on day 14 of recov from L3 disectomy, L4 lamenectomy/discetomy, l5/S1 lamen/disc. L4 on me ruptured which gave me full paralysis with severe pain from left buttocks to the bottom of my heel. Left me unable to stand and had to be back boarded out and emerg surgery by end of day. My surgeon indicated the L4 was the cause of the main frame excruciating pain to the left leg and the right leg pain was caused by the L5/S1. I was currently awaiting approval from my insurance company to have a fusion on the L5/S1 when L4 blew. I am 48 years old and very active outside of work and have been in Law enf 22 years for work. Not sure how old you are but hope that helps and LET SOMEONE YOUNGER MOVE THEM TABLES!
  • thanks. i am 32 and was 20 at the time of my first surgery. Meeting with my orthopedic surgeon in 5 days.
  • So no one here is qualified to interpret images but to me, a lay person, it does appear to be bulging at L4-5. That said, you need to have a follow up appointment with your ordering physician to go through the radiology report. Good luck!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Hi,
    I struggled for 2 years on whether to have the ALIF surgery. I First had a micro dysectomy on that area which did nothing more but deplete the disk. It really depends on how bad the pain is and what you have left for a disk. I'm 42 and and could not take the pain just to do the day to day stuff. I'm not going to lie the operation is serious but I'm glad I did it at a time where healing is to my advantage vs 63. I wish you well and I hope it works out for the best.