Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I will be havig a laminectomy in 3 day

spambortnersspambortner Posts: 4
edited 02/03/2015 - 7:28 AM in Spinal Stenosis
On February 6th, I am having a laminectomy on L3/4 and L/4/5. I have yet to receive any information about recovery. I assume I will get that in the hospital. What can I expect in general over the coming 3-4 months. Will I ever be able to lift heavy weights again? I am not having any fusions unless she decides its needed once I am opened. TIA.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 02/03/2015 - 7:32 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I guess I phrased that wrong. Has anyone been able to go back and lift heavier weight. I am reading posts on the spinal stenosis fb groups and some people have hurt their selves again from bending after 2-3 months post surgery. I know I have to have this surgery, I am even looking forward to it with lots of hope to gain some sort of my life back. I guess I want to see some good posts.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I had a laminectomy back in 1997 and it was miraculous! It was the first time I was pain free in many, many years and I was soon able to return to my active life riding horses, teaching yoga, etc. I cannot say exactly how long that lasted since I was injured in another part of the body 2 years later but I would like to have thought that my back would have been complication free following that first surgery. I think there are a LOT of really good stories out there but the people coming to forums like this are like me, on-going issues over long periods of time.

If there were a way to capture the way I felt soon after that first surgery it would have been worth millions! (It was December 16th, 1997 and by Christmas day I was partying like everyone else!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • Thanks Shelia that's what I wanted to hear :)
  • It has gone well. Yesterday I took a shower by myself. TMI but I can also wipe myself now. The first 3 days after surgery was very eye opening on what we take for granted. Before I could not stand or walk for longer then 10 minutes, so far I have gone as long as 20 minutes. What pain I now have is site pain and hip pain on both sides and lower tailbone area. I can deal with the pain as long as I have the ability to move abound again. Day 9 and everything is great IMO!
    I wish everyone a pain free day!