Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacroiliac and Scoliosis

Tonya SuzTTonya Suz Posts: 1
edited 02/03/2015 - 8:35 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I've been having pain stemming from my Sacroiliac joint for years. I first went to a chiropractor in 2009 because my lower back was constantly feeling like it needed to "crack" but wouldn't. I'd been having pain in my right gluts and none in the left but when he barely touched my left side I yelped in pain. He's the first one to tell me he thought it was my sacroiliac joint causing me problems. He explained how the muscles on the right side were contracting, causing the pain, and pulling the left side out of alignment. Through some stretches he taught me, a couple of a adjustments, and continuous yoga I was able to "recover." Then a few weeks ago I started having pain again but it wasn't just my lower back this time. Things were complicated by the fact that I play several instruments that put a strain on my upper back (flute, guitar, mandolin) and was having pain there too. I went to a massage therapist who was able to relieve the muscles in the upper back but when she touched my lower left side I again yelped in pain even though I'd had no pain there before. She said she thought the SI joint was the problem again.

I decided to go to the doctor and get some xrays, just in case. The xrays show I have mild Scoliosis. The irony is I was checked for this as a kid. The school nurse sent a referral home because she thought I needed further examination for scoliosis from a doctor. The doctor said I didn't have it, that I must have been standing crooked during the exam and that's the last I heard of it until now, 28 years later.

My question is, is the SI joint pain caused by the scoliosis or are they 2 unrelated problems?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Barbara LeeBBarbara Lee Posts: 1
    edited 02/08/2015 - 8:12 AM
    Hi Tonya Suz, I also have a scoliosis curve of about 15 degrees which is considered rather mild. It has caused a leg length discrepancy and pain over the years. I have been going to a chiropractor for about 12 years and it helps some. Last winter
    I fell on my right buttock, the side of the shorter leg, and I have had pain ever since. Had my hip X-rayed but that showed very little pathology. Not enough to cause the pain I was having. My pelvis is somewhat rotated due to the scoliosis curve and I think all of this combined is now causing SI issues to answer your question. My mother had the same curve and I am the only one of four girls in the family to have inherited it. None of my sisters have any hip, buttock or sciatica pain, so I am quite sure the scoliosis is causing the SI problem. I have tried Prolozone therapy that didn't work and now am thinking of physical therapy as my right SI joint is so tight. I don't have nearly the mobility in the right hip and SI joint as I do the left. I also tried a dose pack of steroids for a week but that did nothing. Ibuprofen helps some but I don't like taking it a lot because of the GI issues it can cause. I refuse to have surgery as too many people get worse or have no relief from hip and pelvic surgery.

Good luck. Hope you find some relief.
  • janev1982jjanev1982 Posts: 1
    edited 03/06/2015 - 2:52 AM
    Hello! I am brand new to the forum. Just recently diagnosed with mild arthritis of si joint. Last May I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis after upper back pain. I was referred to a Chiro who immediately fixed the upper back pain but started feeling lower back and buttock pain, tension and loss of range of motion. This has been going on for 6 or more months. I decided to see a Dr and get xrayed...turns out mild arthritis in SI joint. I don't know if they are both related but in my case, I happened to have both conditions. I am only 32 so it's kind of freaking me out a bit...will I be in a wheelchair etc. I haven't been able to easily put my shoes on or pants on in a while. I wonder if I will ever be able to. I am very active, a runner, swimmer and like yoga...so the thought of being disabled is going to be a new thing. In addition to my scoliosis and arthritis, I overpronate when I walk. Getting supportive shoes helps a lot!
This discussion has been closed.