Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice on S1/L5 Fusion Surgery - to get or not to get?

Nav262NNav262 Posts: 2
edited 02/04/2015 - 2:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Quick history, in 2008 I was diagnosed with a grade 1 Spinal Spondylolisthesis (about .9cm of slippage) and impingement on the nerves going into my left leg. Since then I have lost 65 pounds, been in and out of PT, work out w/focus on core exercises mainly, and two years ago had 2 epidural steroid injections which seem to work for a while.

I have learned to live with the pain in the lower back and nerve pain mainly in my left leg with some in my right. A few times a year I get major lower back pain which causes me to miss work and recently on 2 Jan 15, I bent over to put on my gym shorts (of all things) and for the month of Jan I have been mostly in bed and on drugs to deal with the pain. Currently, I'm able to get around with a little lower back pain, nerve pain, and off the meds. I wasn't ready for surgery in 2008 or 2012 (due to work), but now I guess I'm just tired of living like I'm walking on eggs shells with my back.

So since Jan, I have had updated X-rays and a MRI which shows additional slippage to 1.3cm and seeing a Neurosurgeon on 9 Feb. I feel I am ready for surgery if that is what he recommends to do, but I know that it's a BIG deal and I could come out worse. For the most part I can function, but I have read that my back won't "fix" itself and with the additional slippage it seems to only be getting worse. While I'm young (38), my thoughts were to get the surgery and pray for a positive outcome and move on with my life. But then now, I feel I can function so I would go back to work outs, maybe another injection, and back to walking on egg shells. So to get the surgery or not..........so frustrating..

I'm hoping to get input from those who have waited, those who have had the surgery, and maybe those who waited then finally got it. Thank you for the help.
advertisement

Comments

• RavellerRRaveller Posts: 1
    edited 02/04/2015 - 4:15 AM
    Nav262 said:
    Quick history, in 2008 I was diagnosed with a grade 1 Spinal Spondylolisthesis (about .9cm of slippage) and impingement on the nerves going into my left leg. Since then I have lost 65 pounds, been in and out of PT, work out w/focus on core exercises mainly, and two years ago had 2 epidural steroid injections which seem to work for a while.

I have learned to live with the pain in the lower back and nerve pain mainly in my left leg with some in my right. A few times a year I get major lower back pain which causes me to miss work and recently on 2 Jan 15, I bent over to put on my gym shorts (of all things) and for the month of Jan I have been mostly in bed and on drugs to deal with the pain. Currently, I'm able to get around with a little lower back pain, nerve pain, and off the meds. I wasn't ready for surgery in 2008 or 2012 (due to work), but now I guess I'm just tired of living like I'm walking on eggs shells with my back.

So since Jan, I have had updated X-rays and a MRI which shows additional slippage to 1.3cm and seeing a Neurosurgeon on 9 Feb. I feel I am ready for surgery if that is what he recommends to do, but I know that it's a BIG deal and I could come out worse. For the most part I can function, but I have read that my back won't "fix" itself and with the additional slippage it seems to only be getting worse. While I'm young (38), my thoughts were to get the surgery and pray for a positive outcome and move on with my life. But then now, I feel I can function so I would go back to work outs, maybe another injection, and back to walking on egg shells. So to get the surgery or not..........so frustrating..

I'm hoping to get input from those who have waited, those who have had the surgery, and maybe those who waited then finally got it. Thank you for the help.
    Hi there.. I was also diagnosed with L5S1 grade 1 Spinal Spondylolisthesis with both pars fratured in August 2014 and have done with the TLIF surgery in Dec 2014. My lower back pain and nerve pain has greatly reduced after the operation. I was allow to start walking ard on my 3rd day of operation with a little pain at the lower back. My physiotherapist had mention to me that it will take about 8 months for the bones to be completely fused and do note that all workout is restricted. My doctors have warned me that "No bending lifting and twisting is allowed!"

If you are opting for a surgery, do take note that the recovering period may be quite slow but i guess it is all worth it. Take care!
    Kay
  • @Raveller, how old are you? I'm deciding whether or not to get one as well and 8 months for the bones to fuse seems like a long time. I'm 28 and in pretty good shape but have been in crippling pain which has been ruining my life for the last year.
  • I had non-stop pain down my lower right leg into my foot-sharp stabbing pain -caused by many years of jumping on a trampoline. It got to the point where I could not stand, sit, lie down flat on my spine or both sides.. I only cried and did not know what to do with myself, No position relieved this pain..torture! Pain medications did nothing . I bent forward to brush my teeth and my the pain was so bad I was in surgery two days later.
    I was scared to have surgery and knew at 18 years old that I had no choice, I could not live like this any longer. I had a Neurosurgeon and an Orthopedic who scraped the bone from my left hip- fusing both L 4 and 5. No Pain at all since surgery.