Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe spasms and numbness in right arm and hand after anterior/posterior surgeries

kittnkkkittnk Posts: 1
edited 02/04/2015 - 7:43 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well HELLO to all my fellow neckies out there! Let me introduce myself in 2007 I had c5,6 anterior surgery sent to pain management due to continued pain in 2012 pain got so bad could not move pain management did not believe me called my surgeon went through all my testing found c,5,6,7, T1 all had problems was advised he was going to have to go back in posterior and cage me. Healing from that surgery was brutal the spasms were horrible. Alot of laying flat with arms above the head and heat and ice. After 8 weeks post my arm pain came back sent again to PM started me off PT flared me up worse started having the feeling of fire ants in my back found out I had Fibro! UGH! took me out of PT started Fibro massages I thought wow this will be great! NOT! I found out I have screws that are sticking out and I have nerves that are trapped! Yep put me into a flare up from somewhere you would not like to visit! I spoke to PM he said let's try trigger pts injection. I said ok anything at this point! Well, I ended up in the ER that night! Went back to PM he says we need to get you back to your surgeon the x-rays and ct scan the er took shows two screws loose this is 8 months post op! At this point I am still trying to work full time with tears I go back to doc he reviews everything and tells me well the way i am caged in my neck the screws yes are loose but, they are not going to anywhere. It is what it is this is what I was told it is as good as it gets! Well, if you can imagine hearing these words by your surgeon my heart sank I am going to be in excruciating pain the rest of my life? Yes, you are going to be in PM all your life I suggest a pain pump. I was told he was writing my pm doc his suggestions. My surgery was May 2012 and this is now January 2013. I go back to pm he wants to put me on nucynta a long acting long term med. At first I was doing pretty good then my face swelled went to ER had an allergic reaction pm accused me of taking too much but, I had dropped off the rest of the script to the pharmacist and had him count and call. Still pm doc became an ass as started being very rude. He put me on Exalgo which put me in another world. After 3 months of living with no feelings I took myself off and requested to be put back on Vicidon and was doing well until last two months I have a screw that sticks out and I have a nerve that is under and it is causing my right arm to go numb and not able to move it like I should. I ask you neckies out there has anyone else experienced any of this? I feel like I have been on a long exhausting journey of pain and just cannot escape! Yes, I do have alot of hardware in my neck my son calls the titanium mom lol!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm having spasms right now and refuse pain meds. I too am looking for reasons for migraines and spasms. I do get target points every three weeks. Going to ask for some tomorrow. He uses his fingers to follow the muscle path and give small amounts all the way from beginning to end and surrounding related muscle groups. He lays me down with ice packs for twenty minutes after and then has me rotate my arms to see if more is needed. It sounds extreme, but Oh the relief for those three weeks is worth the pokes.
    I have Urticaria as well, (a chronc deep tissue allergy) with unknow causes. It flares when my anxiety is up from my pain and blood pressure.
    I question whether my life with ever be the same, at this point I doubt it, but this site is 'THE ONLY" place I've read recovery taking up to 18 months and I suspected that after my six month point.
    Get a new doctor that understand "spinal surgery" specially!! I feel most doctors are treating pain, but not looking for other causes since you've already had the surgery. I asked if I could go for MRI next month if it persists and he agreed with CT to see if other damage might be the cause undetected.
    I needed to see your post as I am at my worst tonight wishing at times I could go to a spinal pain retreat so I don't feel so alienated. So far work has been great I hope to keep my job as that'smy only positive right now.
    All the best Kittnk!!! :)
    46 F Avg Hgt/Weight non-smkr/drkr, ex-runner
    Chronic back/neck pain/urticaria (pic)
    ADCF C6-7, 11/13
    C3-4-5 , L3-4-5-S1 DDD bulge annular tear