Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member here with a chance of having Ankylosing Spondylitis/spondyloarthropathy

DannellBDDannellB Posts: 1
edited 02/04/2015 - 8:35 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone. A littke bit about me, I am a 31 year old female. I have had chronic lower back pain since 2008. It started slowly on just the left side then gradually moved to my entire lower back. I finally couldn't take the pain anymore and saw my GP, he did blood work and checked my hip movement. At first he thought it was some type of "bone disease" but refused to talk about it until I had blood work done. All labs came back normal and had negative RF. He took xrays and saw i had scoliosis, but not severe, but it's there. He said he didn't think scoliosis would cause my symptoms. He referred me to a rheumatologist. The rheumy noted my symptoms (lumbar and hip pain,toe and ankle pain, shoulder pain, stiffness, decreased range of movement, plantar faciitis, heel pain) he measured how far i can bend forward. He said based on my age and symptoms it is probably ankylosing spondylitis(AS). He ordered labs and they came back normal. I was negative for hlab27. Esr was normal as well. He had xrays done and noted "changes in si joints, likely arthritis" he said there was no erosion . He also said i have a frozen shoulder. I have been taking 15 mg of meloxicam daily. I have been moving my shoulder everyday to try and "thaw" it myself. I also forgot to mention my GP gave me a steriod injection in my left hip muscle. I had an mri done today and my chart says the results are normal. I am so confused now. I don't understand how he can note changes in the xrays, but have a normal mri scan of my si joints. I feel like we have to start all over trying to find a diagnosis. The rheumy said in AS, the pain eases with activity, but the more i walk, the more my lower back hurts. It seems the more active i am, the more and sore i become during the day. i dont understand what type of arthritis would cause more pain with movement. My rheumy said that my xrays only show minimal osteoarthritis. It hurts to bend backwards more than forwards and it hurts my hips to bend sideways. My knees sometimes ache and so does my ankle. He said those are classic AS symptoms, but now that my mri is normal he said AS is unlikely. Since starting this quest to find out whats wrong wih me, i have done so much research and have read so many different sites and articles online. I will be seeing my rheumy next weeks to discuss the mri results. Is there anyone else out there dealing with similar issues?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery