Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

21 With Fibromyalgia

NikkIScorpioNNikkIScorpio Posts: 3
edited 02/05/2015 - 12:33 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey everyone,

My name is Nikki and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 1 1/2 years ago, after experiencing chronic fatigue and different types of pain for 3 or 4 months prior. Almost every woman on my mothers side suffers from it as well, so I guess it's not suprising. It has completely changed my life and I still haven't found a good way to deal with it, if there is one. And I know I'll get asked about how sure I am of my diagnosis, and I am very sure. I've been diagnosed by 3 doctors and have gone through comprehensive exama and tests and blah blah blah. I just feel defeated and I can't seem to get anyone in my life to understand. Oh, and I forgot about the meds. I take 400 MG of neurontin 3x/day, 100 MG of Ultram 3x/day, 800 MG of ibuprofen if needed, 4 MG of Zanaflex 2x/day (which I usually only tale 1 of per day, at night), 5 MG of Ambient 1x/day. I was taking Savella for 2 months, which was really helping, but I'm having issues with my insurance covering it, so I've been off it for a few weeks now. I take my meds exactly as prescribed, and if I don't need it, I don't take it.

Literally all I do is lay in bed. I read, I watch tv, and wish I had someone to talk to. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with this illness. What is someone supposed to do? It's not like I'm 40 or 50 with a good, well-lived life behind me. I don't get to be a young adult. Im 21 with a genius iq, half of a college degree, no job and what really feels like nothing to look forward to. I feel like my life has been snatched right out from under me. I don't know how to get better. I feel like an imposter in my own body. I can't do hardly anything that I used to. How do I deal with that? And it's not even just the unpredictable, varied pain. It's the headaches, the IBS, the fatigue, the confusion, the depression. It's endless really. I want so badly to make the best out of my life, I just don't have the slightest idea as to where to begin.

Does anyone have any advice? And please, don't be hateful.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,813
    Nikklscorpio, I know you mentioned you had extensive testing and 3 doctors verified the diagnosis of fibromyalgia, but could you give a bit more info on what actual testing they did and what testing they did to rule out other things? I was told by multiple doctors that fibro could be to blame and ultimatly it was not , but I would never have known that without expensive testing at some of the top teaching hospitals in the US. Fibro is a real and devestating disorder, but also one that gets misdiagnosed many, many times as a way out for doctors when they cannot find the answer to problems.
    I was diagnosed with autonomic disorder, small fiber neurapathy, central sensitization, and what looks like B6 toxicity. All can be mimics for fibro and very hard to diagnose. I had all the symptoms you listed and many more. Looking forward to talking with you about all your symptoms and comparing. I can honestly say I am treated so differently with the results of the testing vs when doctors were saying fibromyalgia, its opened up new testing, new treatments. Still devestating diagnosises but different avenues.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.