Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help! 6 weeks post Micro D and Pain is back!

I am so scared and angry right now. Let me preface this all by saying I DO have an appointment with the doc next week (actually it's my surgeons PA, and it's the earliest appointment I could get,,,surgeon booked solid through March for office visits).

I had a Micro-D in 2010 after wickedly blowing out my L5/S1. The surgeon said it was the worst herniation he'd seen in his 25+ years. I was crippled in agonizing pain prior to surgery. From the time I blew the disc to the day of surgery was only 1 week (I have friends who are docs and they got me in to see the surgeon, their friend., within a day). I consider myself blessed in that regard. Woke up from surgery 90% pain free and enjoyed a FULL athletic recovery within 6 months. I am a professional horse trainer and riding instructor, and we own a horse farm, so I am VERY active 7 days a week.

The awesome pain free life lasted a year and half...I reherniated the same disc this past November. I knew it the instant it happened. I have DDD so there was no injury. It was fine one second and then BAM, hellooooo excrutiating radiculopathy and back pain (right side). Unfortunately my savior of a surgeon has moved out of state, so I couldn't go back to him. I instead went to my own GP who was USELESS and wouldn't refer me to an Ortho, so I called my husband's ortho office and made my own appointment. They made me jump through the usual hoops even though I told them of my previous history and brought my old MRI's. I got a new MRI w/wo contrast, and they sent me for an epdicural...it last THREE days before I was in tears again. Luckily the set me up with the surgeon immediately after that and on 12/13/14 I went in for my second Micro-D.

I again woke up 85% pain free, but with loss of feeling in most of my right foot and part of my right leg...none of which was there before. Surgeon told my husband the hernia was worse than the MRI showed, of course, and that he also accidentally nicked the nerve sheath during the surgery...whatever...I felt pretty darn good!

They did not set me up with post op PT like I had done 4 years ago. Just told me the usual no BLT's while recovering, and I was doing great right up until my 6 week follow up last week. I walked into the office, told the surgeon I was doing great, he cleared me to return to normal life (but be careful bending lifing etc..) even said I could ride my horses again! But about an hour after I walked out of his office, the burning radiculopathy returned. I DIDN"T DO ANYTHING i swear!!

Could the disc have reherniated already?? I'm petrified he'll want to do a fusion if it has! There can't possibly be much if any disc left if it's herniated again. I can't be laid up again...I'm worried a fusion will mean the end of being able to ride my horses professionally. I'm scared and MAD.

Is there any hope for me? I'm back to popping Tramadol daily (I can't take anything stronger...it does bad things to me). Advil and Aleve don't touch it. Occassionally, if I move just right i get a massive painful zap to the nerve on the right side. Pain is burning all down my leg again.

• This does not sound like a good situation to be in right now. I am sure though, you do not have to have a fusion if you don't want one. I just had my first (and hopefully last micro-discectomy this week and I'm having to consider a lot of changes in my lifestyle....none of which I can think too clearly about now... good luck!
  • I am so sorry. Unfortunately, your story is pretty much the same as mine, except mine all happened within a 6 month time frame. It is indeed possible that you reherniated, and I'm guessing that you did. In my case, my neurosurgeon would not do a third microdiscectomy and told me that a fusion was my best option. I couldn't keep having surgery every 6 weeks (or less), so I did a TLIF of the L5/S1 with screws and rods.

No, the fusion wasn't a lot of fun, but neither was it as terrible as I had imagined. In my case, I had some complications from all the nerve damage and I have a left foot/calf that no longer function properly and I walk (slowly) with a limp and a cane. I'm 36 and that hasn't been so much fun, but it's better than the horrid nerve pain that nothing helped prior to all my surgery.

You always have the option to search out other treatments or no surgery at all, because as you know, a fusion is a big deal. However, bear in mind the damage that is being done to your nerves as you wait. Permanent nerve damage is not a small issue. It can require very expensive medications and a major change in how you live. You really have to balance the pros and cons carefully.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014