Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My morphine pump malfunctioned back at the end of Oct. On Nov. 25 a new pump was implanted. Unfortunately it was discovered during surgery that I had a granuloma that was blocking the catheter. So instead of filling the pump with morphine, they filled it with saline with the hope that the saline would slowly work to dissolve the granuloma over the next 2 to 3 months. If it didn't, then a new catheter would need to be put in. Apparently, they don't like to replace catheters unless absolutely necessary because of the chance of causing other problems. It has now been 2 months and none of the MRIs taken thus far show anything. While I've been waiting for this situation to resolve, I have done a lot of reading on the web about this particular problem and some of it is quite troubling and giving me more doubt as to whether I want the pump hooked up again.
For instance, the granuloma can return again, especially in patients who (a) have morphine as opposed to other narcotics in the pump; (b) people who have had a pump more than 5 years; and, (c) the pump drug dose is high. Unfortunately, I fill each of those categories. Then I also read that the granuloma can continue to grow into the spinal canal causing paralysis that could be permanent. These reasons give me great cause for concern. All my doctor wants is to hook the pump back up without addressing my concerns or fears. Has anyone out there ever experienced this situation or know of someone that has. I really need some answers before we reach the time to refill the pump, etc. Your help or information would be quite valuable to me right now.

• Hi Bambi69. Can you tell me how I "subscribe" to this thread to easily follow it? I ask since I am facing this surgery but put everything on HOLD till I can get more research on pain pumps. YOUR story is one I have followed but I swear I am unable to figure out HOW this forum operates! I see no "subscribe" buttons and everything seems Helter Skelter. I keep hoping to log on and see that your doctor had FINALLY resolved this but looks like my wishes (and I am sure yours even more so) are just that. wishes....
    Fusion With Hardware C5/C6
    Fusion With Hardware L3 THROUGH S1