Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor wants to do RFA

mustanggt98mmustanggt98 Posts: 1
edited 02/05/2015 - 7:44 PM in Chronic Pain
hello,

I recently started seeing a pain management doctor for chronic lower back pain. Ive had MRIs and xrays done and i was told i have very minimal arthritis in my s1 l5 area. He said it looks pretty good and normal other than what the mri showed. Last week the pain doctor did diagnostic injections in my facet joints, nothing but long acting numbing medication. I had that injections on thursday and was in extreme pain the following 3 days followed by moderate pain for 2, and im sill a bit sore from it today.. one week later. I was in so much pain that i went to the ER on saturday because i was worried the injections did some damage. I feel okay, but the pain management nurse called today and said the doctor wanted to do radiofrequency ablation on my s1 l5 facets. She went ahead and scheduled me for TOMORROW morning at 7AM. My concerns are that its been 1 week since I got injections that caused me severe pain, im 26 years old and he wants to do RFA on me. I've read a TON of horror stories from this procedure and not sure if its worth the risks. The pain doc said the reason I was in so much pain following those injections is because I tensed up during and after it. The doctor hasnt really told me anything about this procedure other than it kills the nerves so they stop sending signals to the brain. Im very worried about having this done and im considering calling first thing in the morning and backing out.

Why does he want to do this if my MRI looks "okay" and I had such a horrible reaction to the diagnostic injections? Are there any potential long term affects from RFA? Could they make me worse? Would steriod injections be another option? Any help at all would be great to have right now. Thank you!
advertisement

Comments