Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

IPG Placement

Trouble8TTrouble8 Posts: 1
edited 02/06/2015 - 5:24 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I am new to this forum and have been doing lots of research on Spinal cord Stimulator. I have my trial period next month. I was very pleased to read comments and information that waltf put up to read. It was invaluable thank you.
I am also considering the Boston Scientific.

I would really appreciate any input from anyone who has Spinal stimulator as to where you chose to have your IPG implanted, I really do not want to make mistake of deciding to put in wrong part of anatomy and then be regretful. Please any input and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Only suggestion Rep did state that if I had a preferential side I sleep on, it was best not to place it on that side.
My rep also told me that some ladies have put it in vicinity of where bra line is situated, I envisage that that could be uncomfortable as that is quite bony area where she was referring to.

If anyone can offer their experience I would sincerely appreciate it

Thank you so much and I empathsise with your pain

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • waltfwwaltf Austin, TXPosts: 18

Glad you found my post helpful.

I cannot speak to the best placement for a woman, but for me, mine is in my left buttock, just below my belt-line (I sleep on my right side ever since I gave my wife my left kidney back in 2002).

In general it does not bother me very much, but if I bump into something right where it is located it will hurt a little, but not for long.

I would think that part of the consideration on where to place it will be the recharging - my unit has a battery/charger that slips into a velcro pocket on a belt which goes around my waist, holding the recharging battery in the right spot (mostly, if you do no move around too much).

Maybe you could ask your PM doctor or SCS rep about seeing a (non-working) charging setup and trying it on over the spot(s) you are thinking about having the IPG implanted at. Remember that you are going to be recharging this IPG (on average) at least once a week, for a period of multiple hours, so it should be comfortable.
  • CascaCCasca Posts: 8
    edited 03/07/2015 - 2:33 PM
    I have mine in my abdomen. It's a little strange to have a hard spot discernible to the touch just under the skin, but it's not too bothersome. It makes for easy charging (easier for me to reach with the wand that has to go over the IPG to charge than if the IPG were somewhere along my back side). There is no pain or discomfort associated with having my IPG in this spot (apart from a little tightness with the scar tissue, but that will ease with time) and it's a very small, neat scar, so not too unsightly. There is another little scar (thumbnail width) on my flank where the leads are tethered beneath the skin, to keep them secure as they come round from my back. I didn't want something else implanted in my back as I have enough pain & discomfort there, and wanted the option to sleep on either side, or to lean back on any type of chair/seat/bench and not feel the IPG pressing into me. If you have any more questions about it, fire away!
  • Placed back belt line left side. Was told they would have to use an extension type cord to put in front and just more chances for trouble.