Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bone from hip for fusion...how much pain?

Surgeon says it won't hurt that much-easy for him to say. Last time they used cadaver bone? in the fusion.
When I was at my last appointment I overwhelmed with just the thought of having more surgery and didn't ask questions, Still waiting for a date for pre-op appointment.

• I've had 3 ACDF surgeries. The first one was done with my hip bone. The pain was excruciating!! I can't express this enough.
    The year after the surgery, I had to have cadaver bone put in my hip to repair it.
    Please think carefully before you agree to using your own bone. My other 2 ACDFs were cadaver bone. While the last one was a failure due to lack of fusion, I would never go through the hip graft ever again!
  • My surgeon took bone from my rib because she said taking it from the hip is much more painful then if they took it from my rib. The rib for me didn't hurt that bad compared to my neck pain from surgery.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    edited 02/08/2015 - 2:23 PM
    WIth my ACDFs, the harvested the bone chip from my hip. My neck resolved itself in a relatively short period of time.
    However, I had more pain from my hip, the site of the scraping. It took almost 9 months before all the pain was eliminated.
    During that time, just turning on my side hurt a lot.

With my second ACDF, there was a problem with the bone scrap. I developed a huge hematoma and the osteomyelitis. They had to install a pict line in my arm and for 6 weeks, I needed IV antibiotic treatments 2x a day.

So, if I had to do it all over again..... I would still go with my own bone graft. Thats personal, I dont want anything added to my body that really didnt belong to me in the first place.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • but I was sore for quite a while following that. My doctor said that he doesn't like using the bone graph from the hip anymore unless that is what the patient wants. They only did a bone marrow aspiration from my hip. My hip was pretty sore from that and it still hurts when I walk sometimes. Because of my young age, he wanted to use a carbon based cage that he had helped develop. He said that it should last longer. My mom had a corpectomy and had a cadaver bone used.
    Tracie C