Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am so happy

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,835
My son is returning from a 3 month tour in New Zealand as the private chef for a wealthy family. The family owned 500 acres of land in New Zealand and my son was responsible to prepare dinners for them. No stores, everything was from the land, the meat, fowl, fish, eggs, vegetables, etc.

The family returns to their two story condo in a Park Avenue building. Needless to say, these people have money.

But it will be so good to see my son again! As a formal chef, he and I have had so many cook offs. Mine, from my grandmother or just from time over the years, and his from formal training at the French Culinary in NYC , a year in Italy and time spent with other master chefs. (Still my Osso buco is better)

He has showed us pictures from New Zealand. It seems to be paradise, one of the most beautiful places on earth. I cant wait until he shows us more when he returns late Sunday night.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 177
    Wow, what a great adventure for your son. My cousin is a chef who graduated from the NY Culinary Institute. He owns several restaurants in Houston. I love to cook, but I'm just a home cook who tries anything.
    We're headed for Europe in three weeks and I can't wait to try the food in France and especially in Italy. England and Germany will be good too, but the cuisine doesn't thrill me quite as much.
    Tell us about the cook-offs that you and your son have after he gets back - LOL.
  • Ron
    You should be bursting with pride and it is wonderful to have a child find and pursue
    a job that makes them happy. I bet his Dad's attitude towards life had a lot to do with
    it to.
    That is a country that was and is on my list of places to go. It is full of rivers loaded with
    huge trout a fisherman's dream. I traveled to several countries while working and Germany
    enjoys their food and beer. The gravies and desserts would put a load of weight on in
    a hurry. I love the way they sit at the little tables and enjoy their beer and goodies in the sun.
    Ron talking about food and how they used only fresh ingredients there brought up something
    that I have run into this past year from Doctors. They stress only using food that is not processed.
    I grew up poor on a farm and we raised, hunted, used honey etc. I never remember my family
    having stomach issues. My neighbor has cancer and she was told the same thing. We all
    know what we eat has a huge effect on our health.
    What do you think about us starting a Forum or something and sharing recipes healthy or not
    we could use what we eat. I have so often tried a recipe only to find out it is yuck and what a waste
    of money and time. I think it would be fun and positive getting our minds off our pain.
    Sorry to stray from the news just brought that to mind.
    Tonight he will be here you must be excited beyond words so enjoy and share if you will the
    stories he has to tell.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,835
    That would be fine... We used to have a thread about food and recipes and then about wine / beer / spirits..
    To an extent, I have to say I can handle myself in the kitchen with anyone. I am not a big person for recipes. I might see one, but then my creative juices flow and I decide on how it should be from that point on

Now, when it comes to Wines/Beers/Spirits, I am as close to an expert as they come. Yep, I can tout my own horn here, because I know what I've learned and accomplished over the years. I've been taught by some masters years ago and I continue to expand my knowledge.

So, yes, I thread on both of these would be great.

My son, besides being a formal chef, is earning his degree as a nutritionist. He has already had a few speaking engagements where he combines his knowledge of food along with healthy living.
    One of the first thing he always talks about at his lectures is: Look in your cupboard, check out the foods/cans/etc/ you have there. If there are any that have more than a handful of indgredients or those that you can not pronounce, throw them OUT!, start fresh
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    That's wonderful Ron! What a proud father you must be! I hope you enjoyed seeing him and all of his pictures. I hope you get to enjoy many more cook offs!
  • Ron
    Thanks so so much for giving me a big smile with your kind words for the day and a good
    "blend" idea right, this will be so great and I only hope others will join in. It could be such a
    great thing not only learning but fun in taking our minds off of our problems for a bit.
    I also appreciate how you got right on it and I really want to thank you for that, when you see something
    that could help us and give us something not only healthy but fun that is just great.
    Yes I am going to go through all my old Mom's and Grandma's books and some of my
    creations and post them.
    I wish I was that lucky to be able to create like you do with no recipes but I am not so
    blessed with that talent. The best cooks are those who can just add this or that and come up with some yummy
    I grew up with everything home grown, hunted and hardly anything purchased from the store.
    There are a few stores coming into Salt Lake now that have your food that is chemical free
    but for some it is expensive. I plant everywhere in my yard including flower beds etc. and just
    got me a pressure cooker and a bunch of canning goods. So much to learn and so this will be
    a huge support in the direction I want to go.
    Your son is so right more than five ingredients don't buy. Many of my Doctor's have been
    telling me only non-processed foods, so my son went through our Frig and pantry which shocked me
    when he between the five ingredients and non-processed, put almost all of my food in the no pile. The thing is a lot of people cannot afford to eat like
    that and time cooking is a factor too but in everything I read it is becoming more and more a critical part of
    our health. If you think about it look at the money and energy we spend on going to Doctor's, medicine,
    health issues etc. maybe if we spend a little more on eating right I believe for me it will start to take away the medical
    I also have a friend who is fighting cancer and the Doctor's don't want her eating any processed food, white sugar or
    red meat. The more people you talk to and the more you study it is amazing how food effects us and how it triggers
    a health issue or makes them worse.
    It could really be a learning process for so many of us and we could work together to build a mountain of tasty, healthy,
    or not so healthy (we have to have those too once in awhile) meals.
    My post is confusing but this is really important and I am going to put effort into bringing what I can to it.
    Thanks again Ron and your son is amazing what he is doing with his life and also how great is it that the
    two of you can share that together.
    Thank you for you kind words.
    I really never paid too much attention to what I was eating.... If I liked it, I ate it.
    Now, I am becoming more aware of the food that I use
    Reading labels is one thing, in terms of fats calories, sodium, etc... but the other ingredients are just as important.
    Sometimes low fat is not the best way to go.

There are many discussions that tell us that whole mike is better than fat free milk. But of course its all about moderation.
    Again, something that I am learning to do. Heck, at 64, I think I can still learn, no, I know I can still learn. This time, I am learning from my son, instead of all those years in us teaching our children, the roles are being reversed.

As you get to know me more, I tend to jump around a bit and get on all different subjects, even mid stream in a thread. No exception here. One thing that I am really beginning to appreciate is raw foods. For my son's client they have some requirements for dinners

• - One with meat
      - One with fish
      - One vegetarian
      - One vegan
      - One raw
      - One a combination of any of the above
      - One go for anything, fats, unhealthy, fun fast, etc
    Raw foods can be amazing. He has made a Lasagna. Using Green/Yellow zucchini as the 'pasta' and raw cashews pulverized as the 'cheese' Then of course tomatoes as the sauce. Put the meal in front of someone, let them taste it and they would swear it was the normal lasagna dish.