Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member Intro/Looking for Comaraderie

edited 02/08/2015 - 3:11 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am a 53/yo active female. In Dec 2013 I had spinal fusion T9 - S1. I had slowly developed adult onset scoliosis due to degenerative disc disease, as I understand it. I had several years of low back pain, then mid back pain, with chronic bursitis in both hips, and achy, swollen knees. I have had weight issues since childhood, genetic, same as the osteoarthritis I've been struggling with for years.
I am a Registered Nurse and also a public school Health Occupations teacher...nurse since 1984 and teaching since 1986. I began teaching Health Occupations , taught that for 18 years, then transitioned to Activities Director for 9 years -of a 6-12 grades high school. I love staying busy. Crazy-busy, most of the time. I have an adult son, 29 yo, who is now married, July 2014. I am looking forward to one day in the future , playing with grand babies!
While trying to keep up my busy work style, I've struggled with lots of knee, back and hip pain,. This was treated with years of steroid injections, chiropractors, massage, and physicians....which means x-rays, testing, blood work , etc. Most of you would know the routine. In April 2013 I began experiencing severe nerve pain, which MRI showed I had severely impinged nerve, L4-5.
The MRI that was ordered to diagnose that impingement showed that the spine had really collapsed excessively, leading to referral for the spinal fusion.
November 2014 I had a subsequent left knee replacement. Seems I have been knocked kneed and the replacement was necessary to continue to walk effectively.
I will say that since the spinal fusion in Dec 2013 my life has taken drastic physical changes! I've struggled with the changes to my body and more so, my activity level!
I am so independent and involved in so much. I had to resign my Activities Director position (Aug 2013) because I felt I could no longer function and do my job adequately.
Recently, really in the past 2 weeks, I have begun to notice issues with the spinal fusion. the top part, specifically. That section seems to be "moving" around, and I have been experiencing increased numbness in my left lower leg and more my left foot ( have had some numbness since Dec 13 surg, but much worse as of late) and now my right arm feel "weird" and a little tingly. It is really scary, to be honest. I plan to find a doctor this week, because I have thoughts of going paralyzed!
Anyone out there experienced issues like this, after a spinal fusion???
I could say so much more, but think I've gone on way too long.
Thank you to whomever started this site! I am looking for some folks to connect with! I need some friends with like issues.
Thank you!
Sheri Keen