Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Healthy Eating

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
edited 02/10/2015 - 4:26 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Starting a thread on how we can all eat healthier.
Fresher food, non processed foods, etc... There is so much we can discuss here.

Recipes, Ideas,etc... Wide open for topics

NOTE If you are going to post from a Food magazine, etc, make sure you identify the source of the article.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• TWynnBTTWynnB Posts: 265
    edited 02/10/2015 - 4:24 AM
    I'm a foodie, so I'll play this game! I started eating healthier about 7 years ago, eating almost no processed foods, low sugar, and increased vegetables. As a full time working professional mom (now with a really messed up neck and body), it's hard to eat healthy. This is one of the top requests by my family, and many of my online diet buddies enjoy it.

My personal notes:
    **I only use 2-3 chicken breasts, most weigh near a lb each
    **I use 2 cans of beans. Pintos are good too
    **I skip the olives
    **I use a full onion and pepper (why not?)
    **1/2 brick of cream cheese is PLENTY. It's way too creamy to me for a whole block
    **My kids eat this on a tortilla, I eat it with cheese, on romaine, or on rice.
    Cheap, healthy, easy and delicious!!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    edited 02/12/2015 - 1:49 AM
    I've been trying to eat healthier and have found that some of the "old standards" have worked for me. For example:

Never shop on an empty stomach
    Shop only the "perimiter" isles in the store (produce, meats, dairy) and avoid the cracker, chip, and cookie isles
    Remember if it isn't in the house you can't eat it!

I was buying lots of goodies and telling myself they were for the kids and husband, but then I realized that my family needs to eat better also.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    One of the first things I did to start eating healthy was purging our food cabinets.

What that meant checking every item in the cabinet and looking at the ingredients. If it had more than 5 or ingredients that you did not recognize then Throw it out

• Both my husband and I just recently became mostly vegetarians, with the exception of seafood once or twice a week (fresh caught only) in hope of decreasing inflammation and increasing energy. I feel like nothing else is in my control right now as exercise is extremely limited until the doctors figure out why I am having neuropathic pain and symptom increase. We were fairly good eaters before and had already reduced our processed food when our twins were born, so the transition has been surprisingly easy. Bonus, my husband is all in and actually liking the new recipes. I figure, worst case we figure out some new ways to make our veggies even more flavorful, best case we eat more naturally. This all came about after googling foods that reduce inflammation and watching forks over knives on Netflix.

It's been a good distraction to pin recipes while stuck laying flat, haha.
  • Mother GooseMMother Goose Posts: 87
    edited 08/10/2015 - 6:17 PM
    I love to eat fruit and vegies but I feel like I waste so much cos I can't eat it fast enough, not to mention all the fruit flies driving me nuts. plus chewing too many veggies and nuts kills my jaw. I wish there was an easier way to eat healthy.
    edited 08/10/2015 - 8:58 PM
    My daughter is a vegetarian, so between them we get to eat some healthy foods.

One of the first things my son told us.... Look into your cupboard, check the ingredients on anything. If there are more than 4 items listed, throw it out! We did that and slowly got back to eating healthier foods. Though being an Italian, I could never give up pasta and some of the other great dishes.

We have found that the Food to Table emphasis on cooking has made a huge difference. Food is tastier and for whatever reason, we dont need as much.
  • breads, deserts......thinking back to my early life and now a body loaded with OA. Eating all those gluten laid foods for probably the first 50 yrs of my life....I work now to eliminate gluten in hopes of feeling health improvement. There is so much TODAY with books, PBS doctors lecturing on grains and the brain.

We've been consuming gluten for decades and have mega population of illnesses.

Organic Romaine lettuce has become my dear friend, it's my sandwich wrap. No breads in this house.

My last meal was going to be spaghetti and meatballs...and maybe it will and maybe not....
    Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
    edited 08/18/2015 - 12:55 PM
    I am very fortunate that besides my son being a formally trained chef, he is a certified nutritionist.

There are so many mis-conceptions about food today, the low fats, the non-fats, the low in anything. So much of that is very effective marketing.
    But learning about the truths about foods, ingredients, add-ons, etc is so very important.

One tip my son gave me... If when reading a label of any product, if there are more than 5 items on the list or those that you can not pronounce, dont bother using it. He did a purge of our cabinets several years ago, and it was amazing to see just how much got thrown away.
  • - I love to make smoothies in the morning. I don't have exact recipes, I eyeball everything. But I use plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (with live cultures), vanilla almond milk, and whatever fruits I feel like adding. Yum!
    - Some of my favorite snacks are carrots w/ ranch, hummus w/ pretzel crisps, and these gluten free "popped rice crisps" by Quaker.
    - I also enjoy salads with lettuce, baby spinach, random veggies, and grilled chicken,
    - In my health situation, I have to eat a lot of red meat, so I eat steak often.
    - Generally speaking, processed foods like frozen pizza, hot pockets, jarred sauces, etc make me feel sick. So I tend to eat pretty "healthy."
    - I loooove curry! I don't eat it all the time but I like curried rice with chickpeas and sweet potatoes (vegan friendly).
  • I am not a big fan of bread. I will eat the occasional rye bread. But scares me, and it ought to scare you guys. I go to the bakery to buy the expired bread for geese, I can get a trunk full for $10.00. Well, for some reason I had a loaf in my apt, can't remember why I brought it in. But I looked at the expiration date and it had expired like a month before. Well it hadn't molded. Well curiosity got the better of me so I kept it in my apt to see how long it would last. three months later, it had not molded. I finally threw it out. Most certainly didn't want the geese to eat it either.
  • and the older I get and more advancing OA, when I think of the Decades of acid forming foods I've consumed.

Sugars, wheats, meats,,

I'm working more to eat less and less Acid Forming Foods...the greener and more orange the better.

Citrus is very acid forming. People consume gallons of O,J. and full of acid and sugars..
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/29/2015 - 8:08 PM
    to get as alkaline as possible...cutting out acidic foods like Meats...

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Liz, Spine-Health System Moderator

Healthy Eating Recipe

Black Bean Taco Salad with Guacamole Dressing YOU'LL NEED: ¼ avocado 2 Tbsp. low-fat plain yogurt 1 Tbsp. lime juice Salt and pepper 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce ½ cup batch-cooked black beans (or use canned black beans rinsed and drained) 10 corn tortilla chips, crushed 4 Tbsp. batch-cooked homemade salsa (or use jarred) Mash avocado with yogurt and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Top lettuce with beans, chips and salsa. Drizzle with avocado dressing.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• My husband and I have been vegetarian for over 40 years. This January I said how about doing the vegan challenge Veganuary. He said he was in. So we have been vegan since January 1st and have no plans to revert to our former diet. I have always cooked homemade from scratch including bread. The stomach problems that have plagued my husband for years have gone as has the arthritis in his feet. We are both losing weight and feel much better in ourselves.It is cheaper to eat plant based, when you consider how much you spend on meat ,fish and dairy. I have found watching the how to videos on YouTube invaluable. The film Fork over Knives made a great deal of sense and really inspired us. We wish we had changed our diet years ago.
  • Gosh I love this idea although I have plans of cooking better once my health improves. I posted this idea several months ago and not much happened remember Ron, I sure wish there was some way to I don't know easier to find or I know but it just seems to get buried. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a desert one and then on and on to break it up. Heh it is just this brain of mine I forget things.

I know I have had Doctor's bring my diet up time and time again. It is so hard like some mentioned to get that way. I was raised on a farm we had pigs, cows, chickens and fished plus hunted for all our food. I even made butter and homemade ice cream down by the creek. My Mom bottled everything available and I don't remember stomach problems with anyone at that time. Bought all the canning supplies, pressure cooker, meat sealer on and on. It sits in my basement collecting dust but someday I have not given up on the idea.

Ron my son checks everything that comes in the house for the 5 ingredient or 4 whatever and it is amazing how many chemicals are in our food. I wish I could cook that way or get these guys to do it but they find running to the fast food easier.

It's a great idea Ron wish we could all eat better.

• Losing weight and keeping it off can be difficult. As far as nutrition and healthy diet is concern, making smart nutrition choices is the first step toward weight loss.

Well, I would like to share my nutrition tips that keep me healthy and fit..

- Drinking Plenty Water
    - Eating variety of vegetable - Vegetables are packed with vitamins and nutrients essential for nutrition and also packed with fiber.
    - Using smaller plats Its not funny :) , I have read somewhere, changing the plate size is an easy way to ensure you are still getting the nutrients your body needs, but helping you eat less.
    - Seasoning foods with herbs and spices - seasoning food with a variety of herbs and spices can help make vegetables and blander proteins taste better.
    - STOP eating OUT site food
    - Sticking with lean proteins
    - Temptations..? but only on occasion
  • jerin0121jjerin0121 BangladeshPosts: 5
    Sound health sound mind.To keep our sound health we have to eat vegetables, fruits and healthy foods.Vegetables are riched with vitamins and fiber essential for nutrition.
  • Daily calorie count, verifying sugar content and as mentioned above many times, reducing or eliminating processed food worked wonders for me. I lost 60lb in a year after my first surgery, switched to vegetarian diet and maintained the weight.
    I learned that just because I eat a lot of fruits, doesn't mean I will lose weight. Fruits equal sugar, sugar equals potential extra body fat. It's all about moderation, I have my cheat days, when I "earn" snacks like ice cream or sweets.
    I used app called "Lose it" to set goals and keep track of calories and to learn more about nutrition.
  • Gaahhh..no fruits!
    I eat a whole lot of servings per week to help digestion..but wasn t thinking of all the sugars!
    Hmm.maybe more maters....
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    There passed almost 3 years since i decided to start eating healthy, but i still can't get totally rid of some things that i shouldn't eat. I feel so bad about this, and i can't understand how some people are always doing this. I think they are so strong!