Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I know, right off the top, that any kind of drinking while on pain medications is not a good idea and could be fatal.
I do know there are others out here that are not on pain medications.
So, in a way, this is directed toward them.
But I also know that that those on pain medications will take a drink from time to time. I am one of those. I have discussed this with my doctor many times. Limits is what it is all about. And timing. When you had the pain medication, when you had the drink.
But this thread is not going to be about the pros/cons of drinking,
Instead its about the finer points of each of the beverages I mentioned.

I spent almost 30+ years learning/teaching/drinking wines. I've learned from the masters, I've been to France to understand the importance of all the ingredients, and I keep on reading and reading.

Beers have exploded... The Craft beer industry has one of the largest growing numbers of any alcohol beverage. Each month a new craft beer is announced and released. Each one trying to come out with something newer, bolder than before.

Spirits. Times have changed 20 years ago , it was the Manhattans, Martinis, Rusty Nails, etc that were the rage. Today, some of those still exist, but flavors have exploded this market. The number of flavored vodkas and drinks are amazing. But more than any of the spirits, the Bourbon industry has exploded as much as the Beer industry. There are so many small batch bourbons today, that 5 years ago they were un heard of.

Small Lesson: Kentucky - You can call it bourbon... Tennessee - Dont even try to say bourbon, its Tennessee Whiskey

So, use this thread in any way you want.

Ask about what wine goes with what meal and you will probably get an earful from me.. Ask about beers and the same from me,

I am a natural computer geek/nerd, ,I've become a spinal patient, not by choice, but when it comes to wine, I am a natural. And part of my objective when I work part time at a Wine/Beer/Spirits shop is to take down anything that sounds like a wine snob. Those people have been the ones that make purchasing wines a problem.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    I am not much of a wine drinker, but I do enjoy Canadian beer the best. My husband & I drink Labatte Blue or Molsen. We are, however, excited about a new micro brewery being built close to home. It's due to open soon & I'm sure we will enjoy it.
  • Ron
    This is another area I have been struggling with, I don't drink but have wanted
    to learn what to wine for fish, steak, cooking etc. I have a flank steak recipe
    that I used to make years ago and everyone loved it. My son brought it up
    the other night and we sit and brain stormed all the ingredients but we are
    all ignorant of what white wine it was. Plus I have a goal to not only cook
    healthier but to serve wine with our dinners. We have gotten away from
    having dinner at the table because of my health, now we all sit in the front
    room and I hate it. It is one of my goals to have dinner at the table again
    at least a few times a week. I picture my beautiful old wine glasses on a table
    sit with the dishes I inherited from my Grandma. So learning what wine
    to put in those glasses what a addition that would be.
    I was thinking (oh no) is there some way all the ideas you and others bring
    to this be organized some how? I am one of those who have a hard time
    searching through things.
    Seriously Ron I am having probably one of my worst pain times and you
    doing this for those interested has got me excited about something and taking
    my mind off some of the you know what and that is a miracle for me.
    I need these kind of things to help me through this all and I thank you for it.
    Sorry for a rant but at least I am truly excited about some things and it has
    been awhile.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    edited 02/09/2015 - 5:17 PM
    meaningful distractions can be so very important from time to time. I am sorry that you are going through one of your worst pain times and if for just a moment, this can distract you, I am glad. What would really distract you is if I sang. I love music, played the accordion like all good little Italian boys did, moved on to Guitar, and music has been such an important part of my life. Every song has its place, I can remember where I was, who I was with, what was going on, etc. Ok, back to my singing. I think I was the only person at Church MANY years ago that when it came time to sing, all heads turned to me and I still think the priest gave me a motion to get out!.

Wine, ok, the most important thing to always remember is that there are no rules. There are textbooks written that indicate this goes with that, etc. Forget about it... Its your taste that counts.

Now with flank stank, if the recipe called to marinate it, then I would opt for a semi-oaky Chardonnay from California, a Trebbiano from Italy. In France, its called the Ugni blanc grape which is responsible for some of the finer cognacs from France. I like that grape because it is heartier enough to stand up to any red meat.

Now, if it was serving with the flank steak. I would select a Gavi from Italy or any one of the market's white blends. Ménage à trois white or Apothic white would be my first choices.

I am not sure if I am addressing your question, if not fire away and I will try again.
  • I was going to bring up the Menage a trois red - that's one of our favorites. Now that I'm off most meds (and have a paycheck again!), I need to get a bottle.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I am too chicken to drink so day one when I took meds I gave it up. I do miss a
    cold beer and a glass of wine.
    It took me a few days to get back to you and thank you and I appreciate the
    concern with my pain level, funny when it gets to that point it is almost
    impossible to think.
    My job included entertaining vendors and medical groups, so we would take them
    out to some of the best places and like you it would drive me crazy when they
    would act like they were the experts in wine. It is crazy how I cannot remember
    the wine I loved back then. I am hoping once I get back into it I will remember or
    see it at the store.
    I read your post and my son went up and got the wine you suggested to
    marinate the flank steak in and they enjoy a glass of wine so I am going to
    serve what you suggested. I have to start out somewhere since I never
    got into trying different kinds and I want to. I appreciate your in-put and
    I know great cooks use a lot of wines to cook with so I am excited once this
    beast gets lost a little I am going to work at some new surprises when it comes
    to cooking. I have been looking on the internet but wow you can spend
    a lot of money to try out a recipe, which will be worth it if I find something
    tasty. So if you would share like a good grilled or baked dish you have stored
    in your head I would appreciate it. I forgot you did open a Topic in foods so
    I will go there.
    Hopefully others will join in since I do think it would be fun and get our minds
    off things.
    Music I love it too in fact I have tons of recorded music from Old rock, Jazz, Indian, German
    and many others
    that I listen to all the time. I have every possible kind of electronic device and a super
    great stereo system. My father played an old guitar for us kids and is one of my most
    loved memories of him. But I never did learn any instruments but heh it is never too late right.
    Hope this finds everyone doing as well as possible.
  • For reds, my current faves are 19 Crimes, and La Poema.
    La Poema is a red blend Garnacha/Tempranillo/Cabernet, from Spain. I just saw there is a white blend also, I may have to give it a try also.
    19 Crimes- there are actually two, both are red blends.
    3/7/2015 C4-7 ACDF
  • Funny, I like bourbon AND live in Kentucky...coincidence? An acquaintance of mine owns Angel's Envy which is a wonderful sipping drink. There are always the fallbacks, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Knob Creek, etc.

There is a whiskey manufacturer in Gatlinburg, TN (same name as a famous frontiersman and TN Legislator who was killed at the Alamo) who has many flavored whisky's. Even people who despise whiskey have said they like the flavored beverages. But as Ron said, in moderation. Considering my meds, I'm very cautious about when and how much to have.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
    Keith that is a great Kentucky Bourbon.
    The blend was put together by Lincoln Henderson, who many consider to be the godfather of Bourbons.

It is one whiskey, that I can open the bottle and just love the aroma and bouquet. The bottle itself with the angels wings etched in is awesome.
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 920
    edited 02/22/2015 - 4:18 AM
    His son, Wes runs the company now. He also serves as a volunteer firefighter in our community. They are looking to expand their operation in Downtown Louisville once the new bridge project is completed.
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
    I am not a wine drinker, Craft beer is more me . well...any beer. But there are times when wine is better. You dont take a case of beer over to a friends for dinner. Wine is better. so what type of wine is good for a beginner? Not asking with what food. Something that to me has a better taste than vinegar. like a $30 bottle ? or is that to cheap of a wine. Have bought some before and got some bad advice. There are just so many. Even get lost with all the flavors. What are your thoughts?
    Greg fisher
    for a good bottle of wine.. It wont be great, but good.

Whites: Chateau St Jean Chardonnay, JLohr Chardonnay , Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc (lots of citrus - New Zealand) or MurphyGoode Fume or Sauvignon Blanc. (California, not as much citrus)

Red: GO with the blends first. Menage a Trios, Apothic Red, St Francis Red

Rose: Any French rose from the Cote de Provence.

All under $15, all good. Try those to see what styles you like and then you can always move up.
  • As a longtime bartender, ex-wine steward, and ex-wine sales consultant, I know what you mean. I live in Wisconsin. Drinking is a huge part of our culture and (German) heritage. I still drink. I don't take pain meds before or after (or during drinking) if I can avoid it. I know the dangers. That said, I'm glad summer is coming so we can break out the cold beer, vodka tonics and Sauvignon Blanc.
    ACDF C6/C7 - 8/2010
    ACDF C5/C6 - 5/2012
    ACDF Revision C5/C6 - 8/2013
    Posterior revision w instrumentation C5/C6 - 6/2014
    Epidural steroid injections (cervical spine) 11/2014 - 12/2014
    Cervical nerve block 3/2015
  • I have to admit, I do like some of the $3 buck Chuck at Trader Joes! My wife loves Kendall Jackson and I think it's not too bad myself.

When I was deployed during my military days, we had a German Winery bottle a commemorative wine for our deployment. I still have several bottles that I haven't opened. I'll probably pass them along to my kiddo's at some point.

Beer IPA Style: The Alchemist - Heady Topper
    Beer Stout: Goose Island Country Bourbon Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy

Red Wine: Too many to list, but still my all time is any year from Chateau Latour (France)
    White Wine Chateau y Quem (France) for a Sauterne, Oyster Bay Savuginon Blanc (New Zealand)

Vodka Purity (Sweeden)
    Gin Monkey 51 (Germany)
    Scotch Oban (Scotland - Single Malt)
    Bourbon Angels Envy (Kentucky, USA)
    Rum Appelton 25 year old (Jamica)
  • I have not got back to this post other issues going on, but
    how great all these ideas/suggestions and I am going to make that flank
    steak and use your idea. I have learned a lot reading these posts and
    down the road I am going to serve some of them.
    My son will be thrilled it is his favorite way to cook that meat.
    Thanks Sherri
  • Hey Ron,

Angel's Envy was just sold to Bacardi Beverages! (not an April Fools Joke).

edited 04/02/2015 - 7:22 AM
    Doesnt surprise me.... There are about 5 large companies today that are buying up all Wine/Liquor/Beer business. Number 2 does not do that much business in USA.

1. Diageo

Annual Volume: 126 million cases
    Home Turf: London, England
    Notable Brands: Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, J&B, Smirnoff, Ketel One, Captain Morgan

“Diageo” is not the name of some kindly 18th-century whiskey-smith. Instead, it’s a relatively new corporate entity, spawned in 1997 from the merger of Guinness and Grand Metropolitan. Diageo originally had its hands in both food and beverages, but dissolved its food operations by selling off Burger King and Pillsbury in 2000. Now it’s the Yankees of liquor distribution, with the world’s largest volume, the largest U.S. market share, and the brand recognition that goes with owning some of the flashiest names in the business.

3. Pernod Ricard

Annual Volume: 123 million cases
    Home Turf: Paris, France
    Notable Brands: Absolut, Jameson, Beefeater, Malibu, Kahlua, Glenlivet

Pernod Ricard was born of a 1975 merger between two French anise-based-liquor makers and is now an international behemoth, home to some of the world’s most recognizable brands. Where Diageo and United Spirits are going for volume, Pernod Ricard is aiming for the high-end market with its self-avowed tactic of “Premiumisation.” Which is totally obvious when you browse through their catalog of Grandma-enticing liqueurs, like Pumpkin Spice Kahlua.

4. Suntory/Beam

Annual Volume: 54 million cases
    Home Turf: Osaka, Japan
    Notable Brands: Hibiki and Yamazaki whiskeys; Jim Beam, Courvoisier, Maker’s Mark, Sauza; Orangina, Schweppes

5. Bacardi

Annual Volume: 38 million cases
    Home Turf: Hamilton, Bermuda
    Notable Brands: Bacardi, Dewar’s, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire

Bacardi has roots in Cuba but is now headquartered in Bermuda, and seems to be doing everything it can to make itself welcome there. For 130 years, the company was a one-trick pony, dealing exclusively in rum. But then, in 1993, Bacardi acquired Martini & Rossi, a purchase that doubled the size of the company and gave Bacardi access to prestige brands like Dewar’s and Bombay Sapphire, making it the largest privately owned liquor distributor in the world. (Until, that is, Suntory bought Beam.) Between Suntory’s expansion and Bacardi’s new campaign in the India market (which is sure to ruffle feathers over at United Spirits), we could be right on the precipice of World War Booze.
  • Ron, you really should open your own shop (or sub contract with someone who has one) and have classes regarding various products!

I would love to.
    One of the web sites I put together offered a Wine 101 Thread. Lasted a while, but hasn't been touch in years.
    I do write some beverage articles for the package store I worked at part time.
    I did teach a wine appreciation class at college back in the late 1970's
    Still would love to do something like this again.
  • Sounds like the beer industry in the UK. There were thousands of tiny, independant breweries. It always amazed my family that I was STILL working on purchase contracts! As one of the big ones we spent a decade gobbling up as many little breweries as we could get our hands on. Its a shame really. I know it's left room for the microbrewery industry but it's a lot of history that's been lost. I had no idea how much a part of the community breweries were. Many small towns built-up because of the brewery.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I was drinking excessively, especially in last two years when my condition started to get more worse. I could drink "as an animal" and then feel no pain at all. Being drunk also removed my fears when I had neurological disorders; I found it normal to experience severe vertigo if I knew that I was drunk. I have had awful withdrawal symptoms when I was not drinking.

However, after I started with proper medical treatment, I found that pain and neurological problems can be treated in another way and I do not drink so much anymore. The social environment is a problem, because I started to refuse socializing with people who would drink heavily and tried to explain them that it is not wise to take narcotics and sedatives with alcohol, although sometimes I do that. Now I have a beer or two per day and feel fine, but some "friends" are lost since I am not as "happy" as I was anymore...
    Scoliosis vertebrae THL
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy THS
    Sy LS chr