Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain, headaches & balance problems - unknown origin

kgray6789kkgray6789 Posts: 1
edited 07/14/2015 - 11:41 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have had neck pain and headaches on and off for over 20 years. The pain radiates from neck over the top of my head into the front of my face. My chiropractor has keep the problem mostly under control, but lately the relief has only lasted a few days at a time (before, I had been going once a month for maintenance). For the past two years, though, I have also had balance issues that have not been present before (not classic dizziness, but rather imbalance that seems related to head movement). I have had ear pain, pressure, and tinnitus for about 10 years. I have mentioned this to various docs, but they look in my ears and tell me nothing is wrong.

For the balance issues, my primary care doc sent me to an ENT. She did allergy testing. Based on the results, she recommended allergy shots, which I am currently doing. She thinks that will help with some of the headaches and the balance (she thinks it's inner ear related). She also ordered balance testing, which came up with a result of something along the lines of "central nervous system problem disrupting saccadic eye movement." So I went to a neurologist. He thinks that I am having migraines and sent me for a head MRI, which showed nothing out of the ordinary. He gave me meds to help with the pain (which do very little) and said that I could try an everyday migraine med, which I declined for now. He said I could also do nerve testing at some point in the future.

At the same time as all of this, I was seeing an orthopedist, who ordered an xray and upper spine MRI. She found that my neck was very straight and not curved at all, but that was not necessary remarkable. She also noted the beginnings of a bulging disc and arthritis, but neither was very advanced enough to be the obvious cause of the pain. I then tried PT - exercises and dry needling. I got a little more range of motion, but nothing else. From there, the ortho sent me to get a steroid injection in my neck. This did nothing and that doc said that I needed to now discuss with the orthopedist whether she wanted me to try RFA. I am waiting now to get botox in my shoulder muscles, which are extremely tight (always have been). I have waited 2 months to see this doc, but was just told that my appointment had to he rescheduled and the next available appointment wasn't until April 26.

I think that my shoulder muscles are pulling my upper vertebrae out of whack and that my balance is ear-related. The ortho and neuro docs, however, seem to think that I should have pain or numbness down my arms based on my symptoms. The allergy shots could take another several months to show improvement, so the jury is still out on that.

Has anyone had any issues like these? What other treatments have you tried?

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!

• VersemanVVerseman Posts: 4
    edited 07/15/2015 - 1:17 AM
    I have severe vertigo at least 8 times a month, imbalance and wobbly sensations that can completely disable me for 1-2 hours at a time, usually while at work using computer.

I am a former heavy weight lifter and EX-UPS guy bulging discs are present- 5 to be certain and SI joint, and C,5 &6 are herniated.

I've had a car accident in the last 8 years. I have many Chiropractic Doctors rotate my neck and some even scared the xxxx out of me because they were so awkward and did not seem to be a natural movement, felt like they could fracture my neck.

I also have meniere's and doctors keep saying that it's menieres but don't offer any solutions....by that I mean other than meds...I understand meniere's can cause vertigo, which I've had so bad that I can't get out of bed in the morning but this new experience seems related to my neck.

Tension in the neck muscles (computer use) and also in the scalene muscles seem to be pulling my atlas out of line and affecting my vagus nerve, my atlas on the left side hurts a lot and my occiput feels jammed up and back of my head hurts after the vertigo....this can't all be coming from my ear.

Went to big San Francisco ENT and the brushed me off and said it was vestibular migraine....doc said (without looking at me or touching me) "there is nothing you can do, take these meds" most People need to stop working" so arrogant.... the appointment was 20 mins and $450. NO THANKS!!

Spoke to spine surgeon who suggested could be Myleopathy

Someone please give me some insight as to what approach to take from here. IF I stop going to Chiro's, which I did, then who can help the atlas stay in place?

Please help, this is keeping me from working and flourishing.

Also, osteopathy has helped tremendously, but still not all the way as I can't afford to pay for a better set up with computer at work