Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does physiotherapy really work?

TakeMyPainAwayTTakeMyPainAway Posts: 1
edited 02/09/2015 - 1:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've had chronic neck pain and restricted neck movement for past 3 years but never really followed through on the first visit to the doctor..He suggested it was probably posture related but recently I had an MRI scan done and the report showed loss of cervical lordosis and disc bulge at c5-c6 vertebrae...After looking at the report the doctor put me on some meds to relieve pain and advised me to do some exercises(some requiring others to help me) 3 times a day....The exercise takes approximately 30 mins so it's difficult to fit that into my schedule...I'm also skeptical about how this helps with alleviating symptoms caused by pinched nerve caused by the bulged c5-c6....Any Advice from someone with similar problems and how they dealt with it will be highly helpful....

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • You sound like a smart person and likely already know the answer to your question, it is no. Physical therapy is not going to make the disc bulge go down no more than it would make a bruise go away.

But that doesn't mean that exercise, posture, and life-style changes are without merit. In fact it sounds like they are more important than ever in your life. The goal would be to get through the discomfort of the disc bulge while keeping your neural pathways intact and also to prevent recurring bulges or worse a disc herniation in the future.

I don't know how old you are but you may need to additionally give up high impact activities if you do them. If you are into computers or have a desk job then I also suggest you set a timer and get up every hour and walk around. Three years is a long time so something is not right but as long as it's not herniated you still have time to strengthen the muscles, make changes in your life and let it heal.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    A disc bulge may or may not cause pain, the loss of lordosis can certainly cause pain especially if its secondary to spasms in neck. Many people have went to physio with herniations and left relatively pain free, but then its life long that you have to be aware that you have a weakened disc so building up around it is key. There are tons of athletes with bulging discs that have no pain or recover. Its alot about the size and what its touching if anything. Does the MRI show the buldge is touching a nerve?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.