Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatic nerve pain months post surgery

Emily999EEmily999 Posts: 1
Hi, my name is Emily, im 19 years old, from Australia and im furious with how my boyfriends slipped spinal disk has been handled by his surgeon and I want answers :(

This time last year my boyfriend who was 19 at the time slipped a spinal disk while at footy training. He also tore his hamstring at the same time, so for a couple of months, the sciatic pain down his leg was believed to be part of the torn muscle repairing itself.

It was a bit of time before we realised that this was more than just a torn muscle. After 8 months of doctors appointments, physio, x-rays, over a thousand dollars in extreme pain killers and medication, and an absolutely useless cortizone injection, we finally get to see the neurosergeon.

By this stage, he cant even walk, there isnt a second in a day where he is not in extreme pain, he cant sleep properly. And this has been injured for 8 months.

The Neurosurgeon confirms the severity of the slipped disk, and that it will need to be operated on. Prior to going to this appointment, my boyfriend had to fill out countless pages of surveys asking him about his pain and the complications of having his pain for the surgeon to read during the appointment. He didn't even read them, or ask for them, and we were in there for about 5 minutes.

2 months after this appointment, he finally gets his surgery. The surgery goes exactly to plan, and we are set on a speedy road to recovery.

It is now another 2 months after the surgery. He still has sciatic pain, he still cant run, go for walks. The wound has healed, and there is no back pain, but still nerve pain.

He recently had his post operation appointment and told the neurosurgeon that he was still having severe nerve pain down his leg. He brushed it off, and we were in there again for anothet 5 minute appointment. He told him to go back into sport and gym work, the way he was before he had his slipped disk. But he can't even walk distances without being in pain, can't run, cant do any physical activity without being in pain.

It is starting to affect his mental health severly, as it would when an ordeal has carried on like this for a year and no one will give you answers, not even the guy who operated on your back.

Is it normal to still have severe nerve pain 2 months after surgery, when the sciatic nerve has been pinched by the disk for 10 months?

Can there be permenant nerve damage that you cant see post operation because of the inital nerve swelling?

Do we need to look into it further or let it keep healing and give it time?

Help :(

advertisement

Comments