Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain in a 19-year-old

Hi, I am fairly new to this site, so please be kind :)

I am 19-years-old, and I have been suffering from lower back pain for over a year. I hurt it when I was at track practice, we were doing multilevel box jumps, and I was tired and one was too high. I barely made my feet on the box, but as soon as I did, I felt a twinge and knew something was horribly wrong. I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and this was the worst pain I had ever felt in my entire life. I could not bend even the slightest bit forward without serious pain, and felt pain in my butt and legs daily. Like a moron I am, I though that this would pass, and it was nothing serious, so I never went to a doctor.

Now, a year later, I still feel pain in my back, though not as painful as it once was. I have good days, and bad days, as everyone does. The pain is the worst when I stand for prolonged periods of time, like this past weekend, I went shopping with my mom and I was in a great deal of pain, only better when I could sit down or lean against a wall. I also feel a bit of relief when I bend forward, almost like I need to crack my back. I also have pain when I lay down flat on my back, or flat on my stomach, sides are usually comfortable. And still, I feel the pain in my butt and legs, no numbness though.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant, I am just frustrated that I am 19, and already having chronic back pain. It worries me that standing for long periods of time is almost unbearable because I am currently in school for Nursing, and I know that nurses are prone to back injuries.

I have an appointment for a regular physical this week, and I am considering mentioning it so I can get a referral to an orthopedist.

Thank you for hearing me out, and enjoy your (snowy, if you're in New England) day! :)
meganec17

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,951
    meganec17, dont beat yourself up for not going to doctor, at a young age many times the doctor would not have found anything or would have said only a sprain go on with your life . We all push things when young and invincible feeling.
    You many not need a referral to orthopedist some insurances dont require that. Hopefully will just be an issue where you favored an injury and need some PT to get it straight , good luck
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • itsautomatic,
    Hi, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I deeply regret not seeking medical attention when I initially hurt it, but I know I cannot live in the past. I'm not sure if my parents insurance requires referrals or not, but I am due for a physical at my GP tomorrow, so I think I may just mention that I have been having some issues, Again, thank you.

meganec17
    meganec17

It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.
    Make sure you mention the length of time you have had and if they are progressively getting worse
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • itsautomatic,

Absolutely! I am hoping that my doctor will take me serious, as I have heard many physicians do not take young back injuries very seriously. Thanks again.

meganec17
    meganec17

In my experience they did not early on, but you just have to listen to your gut and what you know about your body. You were an athlete I read so I am sure you know your body pretty well and a nurse in training to boot. Those two things put you in pretty good shape mentally to get to the right doctor if first one does not work out. Good luck and let us know what they say. I would write your symptoms down and what makes worse or better and any questions you may have prior to appt, its easy to get nervous and forget something if you dont.
  • itsautomatic,

That is great to hear, I will for sure let them know. If I find that they are taking it lightly, I may talk to my parents about seeing an pediatric orthopedist as I am nearby to Boston which has incredible doctors. Writing down a list is a great idea, I never thought of that! Thank you, and I will for sure update you on the appointment.

meganec17
    meganec17

• I am 20 years old and I had to go through 8 different doctors for just one to take me seriously. I pray that your appointment goes well and that you get answers soon!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
    Ashley
  • meganec17mmeganec17 Posts: 16
    edited 02/11/2015 - 12:47 AM
    Clarinetgirl,
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I appreciate the prayers, and hope you are doing better. Thank you.

meganec17
    meganec17

• Quick question, the pain that you have, do you feel it directly in the middle of of your back, or off to the side a little? Also on a scale of 1-10 what would you rate your pain, On good days and bad?
  • HI, I just got back from seeing an orthopedist today. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with sondylolithesis. Seeking a second opinion next week.

Kirby9000, the pain is in the center of my back, and On a good day, maybe a 2 or 3, and a bad day, probably a 6.
    meganec17

• Sorry it took so long to get back! Is your back pain still consistently 2-3 and or 6 some days?
  • Kirby9000,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply as well! That's about right I would say, I almost always have pain, usually not severe, but it's always a constant nagging pain. When there is a lot of pressure on my lower back or if I am standing or walking for a prolonged period of time, my pain level increases. I have been in physical therapy for the last two or three weeks, and so far I have not noticed an improvement.

Meg
    meganec17

advertisement