Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone from Wyoming or Montana?

EwaightEEwaight Posts: 250
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Water Cooler
I told my husband recently that we are in a rut and in serious danger of becoming the most boring couple in town. We are in need of some adventure!! I was thinking join the Y, get a new hobby.

He has decided that we need to move while we are still young enough to enjoy it. He wants to buy a ranch in Montana or Wyoming. We currently live in TN and have never really spent any time on the West Coast.

I woke up this morning and there was a big white cowboy hat next to the coffee maker with a note that said "You're going to need this in Wyoming.

Can anyone give me some good places to visit in Montana or Wyoming? I would like to plan a vacation for this fall and see what I think before I tell him that he is comletely nuts!!!

• I was born in Denver but moved when I was 9. I'm up for the adventure but want to do a little research before. Some of the ranch property in Wyoming that he showed me online didn't look so hot. The landscaping in the from yard of one consisted of dirt and dust, 3 large rocks, one cattle skull and a tumbleweed!!!
  • Ranchs are going for a lot of $$$$. You have to see the land because a lot of the pics are misleading and of poor land. People from california,oregon,washington and texas have raised the prices to skyscraper hights with the houses they put on them. Born on the rez. Have aunts and uncles with ranchs only thing i miss of Montana. My Dads from there. A really nice place to live is East Glacier Park. Small town in winter about 300 but grows when the tourist come in summer. Lived there 2 yrs. My mom loved it there reminded her of Alaska.
  • I agree. From what I have seen we are looking at West Coast Real Estate prices on an East Coast budget. I live in TN and we did not experience the huge increase in Real Estate or the "bubble."
  • I grew up in Denver, CO and we would be trick or treating on Halloween in knee deep snow. You're rite the sun comes out everyday and it's very pretty. The humidity levels are also much lower I think so this might be why it doesn't feel so cold.
  • If you are wanting a beautiful vacation spot in wyoming, try Jackson Hole. Star Valley wyoming is another great place. The mountain ranges are absolutely breathtaking! There are miles and miles of winter recreation trails (snowmachining, skiing, cross-country skiing), but lots of summer activities as well. Of course, you wouldn't want to live in Jackson Hole, as it is a tourist town and the real estate prices are even higher than California prices--ouch. But some of the more rural areas are reasonable. I have an uncle who bought 100 acres with a house for under $300K. He is farming the land, has built a new house on the property, and will turn a nice little profit when he sells it. Wyoming and Montana have kind of a relaxed laid back lifestyle. So put on your cowboy hat and come on over. I'm in the neighboring state of Idaho.

Or you can just plan your vacation for Yellowstone National park and cover parts of wyoming and Montana at the same time. I've been through the park several times, and I never run out of things to see.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I would have to agree with neck of steel, Yellowstone would be a good place to see in that area. Depending on how you get there, Walls drug is a neat place to stop. Story is it was just a little shop where travelers could stop and get a drink of water on their long trip west. It has grown into something similiar to the boardwalk at the shores with all kinds of shops amd such. I was fortunate enough to go on a once in a lifetime Elk hunt in Montana in 1991. Just seeing the beauty of the Rockies was worth the trip. We would be on old dirt roads going in and out of some places we hunted and you could almost see a stage coach coming around the bend in your minds eye. It has been 17 years since I have been there but on our way home to Pa. We stopped at Custers battlefield and saw where the battle was plus they have a nice little museum there also. We also stopped at Mount Rushmore for an hour or so. Like I said though, Just seeing the area made it worthwhile. I would give anything to go on another hunt, but my spinal problems would definately not permit that, Maybe I can get my family out there someday. If I would have not been married, I would have stayed and lived there. I wouldnt miss the opportunity if I were you.
  • It may be out of your way but glacier national park is every bit a nice as yellowstone but without all the crowds and more rustic.Going to the sun road is a must if the snow has melted enough for the road to be opened.
  • Erin, you said "He wants to buy a ranch in Montana or Wyoming. We currently live in TN and have never really spent any time on the West Coast."

Please tell me you know that Montana and Wyoming are not anywhere near the west coast, right? :D

Seriously, I bet it gets colder in WY than in TN. I lived in Cheyenne for 2 1/2 years and I do remember those below zero temps. The worst was -15 with a wind chill factor of -54. Brrr! I'm sure if you were moving from Chicago it would not be as bad, but for me, moving from CA that's danged cold. At least here we can still do things outdoors in the winter.

Terrain varies in WY from desert, mountains, to prairie.

My husband wants to leave CA and retire in the midwest and I think he's nuts.
  • I've lived here since 1996 - it really doens't snow much! Having moved here from New England the change is drastic, and when it does it melts within a few days. We've had a few memorable snows, but this climate is actually considered a semi-arid steppe. When people think of Colorado they think of the mountains, but the Denver/Boulder area actually misses most of the precipitation due to the rain-shadow effect. And we've been in a drought for about a decade - I think it's abating but nobody wants to say anything because they want people to continue conserving water. It snowed a lot more in the 70's and 80's, from what I've heard.

I spent my high school years in a little town north of Boulder, really close to the foothills of the Rockies (between Boulder and Estes Park). There was a huge snowstorm in 2003 and my parents didn't even get an inch up there, while just slightly to the east (Longmont, Lafayette, Broomfield, etc) ended up getting several feet. People here, myself included, suck at driving in the snow because we actually see so little of it, way more snow in the midwest and northeast than there is here!

I was born and raised in western MT. It is an awesome place to live but as other people have said it is fairly expensive to buy land there right now. If you want and or need any other info on it just let me know. Either email me at jagerhenry@yahoo.com or reply on here and I will give you all of the info that I can.

• Hubby is transferring with his company to Sheridan Wyoming.
    I have not seen him this excited in a long time and I am excited for him. He has a bit of the wanderlust cowboy in him and I would like to see him have an adventure.

He has done alot of research online and has joined a forum much like this but there are alot of people from there.

Any info you could pass on would be great!!
  • Hubby is moving, I am not.

He really wants the adventure of Wyoming and I really don’t. We started talking about the move months ago. I think he really thought that he would wear me down and I thought that he would forget about it.

My husband has worked hard to provide me with everything I have ever wanted. He has been through several surgeries with me in the last 10 years and never once complained when he had to pick up the slack. He turned 40 last year and really had a hard time with it. He is on meds for anxiety attacks and depression. He told me that he really needed this year to be “his time” and needed a little babying too. I got rear ended by anther driver in Jan and ended up having a lot of issues and then cervical fusion in April 08. Here we go, all about me again.

We are best friends and have been for going on 20 years now. I understand that he is looking at the years gone by and that the hair on is head is now going away and showing up on his back. He really wants to do this before he gets too comfortable in his Lazy Boy. He feels as if he is on the little rat wheel of pay bills, sleep, go to work.

We were talking about this several weeks ago and I said “why don’t you just go without me?” Not divorce, just go check it out. I said let’s do the math and see if it is doable. He’s like a little kid. You’re shi**ing me, I can really go? Sure, I’ll help you pack. He told me last week that he can transfer with his company at the end of September. 1st we were just kicking it around, now it is starting to become more concrete. He is waiting to see if the other shoe is going to fall, and I too thought that I seemed to be handling this too well. Actually, I am looking forward to having some space of my own. I have always liked being by myself.

My husband has been in the service and was an over the road trucker for several years. We have spent a lot of time apart and did OK with it. Our house is paid for, we both have decent jobs and we have no children together. I have a 29 year old grown son here in town and expect some grandkids soon.(God willing) So it’s not like he is abandoning his responsibilities. I can easily hire someone to do the yard work and fix anything that breaks down. Actually, he not so hot in that area anyway.

Sorry this turned into such a long answer. I cannot answer this question in one sentence without people freaking out. My friends immediately jump to “that selfish bas**rd.” And that is just not the real picture. If I said stay he would. Not many people I know seem to really understand this but as long as Dean and I do I guess that is all that matters.

The hardest part for him is going to be explaining this to his parents. For some reason he keeps putting that off. He is in for a huge lecture from his dad and he knows it. Says he might just call him when he gets there.

• Was a bit TMI for the Water Cooler. Just got started and couldn't stop.

All is good here. It's his mid life crisis and I am just along for the ride.
  • I might be a little biased, I grew up in eastern Montana and worked in Montana and Wyoming for years. The country is awesome. Sheridan is close to Billings Mt, and Billings has everything you need, medical, shopping,entertainment..etc..
    I love the land, the bluffs, the rivers, the rocks, the prairies. It's a good place. Hope you guys enjoy your adventure!
  • I vote for Montana. GO GRIZ !!! (division 1 football 2008 season 3/0)