Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain doctor is trying new meds

Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
I went to my pain management doctor and he changed up my meds. He increased my gabapentin to 1500mg a day & now I take 1 hydrocodon 5-325 in the morning instead of at night. But he added me a script for Zohydro ER 10mg. I'm to take 1 every night. That is the med that I called 8 pharmacies and none of them could fill it? When I called my doctor to tell him I was having trouble finding a pharmacy to fill it, he found one for me & they're going to deliver it today to my house. I'm a little nervous taking an extended release med. I've never been on one before. Am I going to be really zonked for awhile? The gabapentin already makes me loopy enough! My doctor also told me he'd like to put a spinal cord stimulator in my neck. I'm not really wanting to do that. Everything I've read on here from people that have them hasn't been good? I'm really hoping that Zohydro will help me sleep since I take it at night. I would love to get more than 2 hours sleep at a time. Has anyone else taken this drug?
Cathy
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    I guess no one else has taken this drug? I'm not having any improvement in my sleep since I started it? Although, I am so groggy. I also woke up at 2am very itchy. I really hope that isn't a sign I'm having a reaction to it?
  • Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    I've not taken that drug but I would definitely call your doctor about the itching. Hope you can soon get better sleep!
    Betty65
  • never taken that med either but itching sounds like reaction.I have issues with sleep too but am trying non med treatments to avoid nasty side effects I drink teas,specifically,sleep inducing teas availablein grocery stores and they help.I get something to control the waking up to pain,im set.hope you feel better.
    Thanks for your comments. I don't seem as itchy today? Maybe after 4 days, my body is adapting to the new med? My sleeping problem is because I wake up in pain. I am definitely tired enough to sleep, I just wake up every hour or two in pain. I could fall asleep standing up since I started taking this new med. My pain doctor also doubled my gabapentin so I'm up to 1500mg. I imagine that is making me groggy too.
  • BpainFree39BBpainFree39 Posts: 127
    edited 02/13/2015 - 12:06 PM
    Hi... I have been on large doses of these meds too, and it takes time to start to tolerate them. While I have not taken Zohydro, I've been on ER morphine, oxycontin, and so on. It sounds to me like going with a ER pain med is a good thing because from what you describe your baseline pain level needs to be controlled. The extended release Zohydro will take some getting use to, and the itching is a common non-serious side affect from opiates. Also, the increase in gabapentin will take a few weeks to become tolerable. I think when your baseline pain is under control, your sleep will come naturally, but I’d ask your doctor if you can add melatonin to your regiment. As far as my pain goes it was a wonder drug. If you don’t mind me asking, what is causing this pain? Hope that helps... Eric
    04/24/15
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
    You mentioned melatonin. What is it? I've heard of it, but don't know what it actually is. I'm hoping that all my "grogginess" should go away some once my body adjusts to the increased gabapentine & the Zohydro. At least I hope so! I had to get out of bed at 4am, due to pain, so by 11am, I was sleep walking. I thought I'd just lay down for a minute. Well, 3 hours later, I woke up! My pain is due to 2 neck surgeries in a year & nerve damage. I have nerve pain in my neck & into my left shoulder & arm. It's a constant pain. Sometimes it's not as bad but mostly it's at least a 6-7 on pain scale. I can't really use my left arm for much. It hurts to even touch my arm or shoulder. It'll be 1 year next month since my last surgery, so I don't have much hope that this will get any better for me?
  • Hi.. Melatonin is an over the counter medicine that your body produces naturally, but if taken in pill form, it induces natural sleep faster. It is also, natural and is not a habit forming, or a prescription sleeping pill. It helped me so much after my second surgery.

Sorry about your neck. I am fused from S1-L2, and I understand nerve pain, and muscle pain... The grogginess will start to subside in another week or so, and in my opinion is partly due to lack of sleep, and also the increased gabapentin dose.

Are you doing any PT, or strength exercises for your neck? I found that walking and exercising even though it hurt and I didn't want to helped a lot. After a while the pain started to lessen post-op. I am having new problems as of late however. I have been having a sharp stabbing in my spine, and I am worried I am developing stenosis, or a bone spur. I keep walking despite my pain, and I am starting treatment again next month. I hope you find relief. BPF
    04/24/15
    ---------
    04/09/13
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    ----------
    03/13/12
    I have done several rounds of therapy. Unfortunately, I seem to hit a plateau & can't get past it. I was walking almost 2 miles but I live in Pennsylvania & our weather isn't the best walking weather right now! This weekend, the wind chills are to be around -20! I try to do the elliptical but I'd much rather be outside. I also do my stretches & exercises that I was doing in therapy. I'm sorry to hear you are having new issues. Have you talked to your doctor about them?
  • Have you ever thought about going to the local mall? I find that walking in the mall is a good way to exercise. Just do laps around the mall inside. That's just an idea. As for me I have no insurance, or funds to get treatment. I was laid off in 2012, and have not been able to hold a job since. I was forced to quit my job in 2013 because I never recovered from my first surgery. Then after my second I got another job, but was trying to support my wife and son, and the job was 120 miles from the house we bought. I could not live in the big city, and pay for an apartment, and the house, so I quit. The toll on our relationship causing us to divorce, and I remain without work, and no insurance.
    04/24/15
    ---------
    04/09/13
    ----------
    03/13/12
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. We hear so many stories about how hard all of this is on relationships. Have you tried to apply for some sort of medical assistance? I would think since you aren't working, you would be able to get some kind of assistance? Your idea of walking at the mall is a good one, but I'd be nervous I would spend more time shopping than walking!
    Hang in there!
  • Hi... yes it was hard on all of us. It was the end of our marriage for sure. I was in terrible pain for 3 years leading up to my surgery and when I was not trying to work I really didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I have applied for help and Florida in its conservative wisdom offers no medical aid for single males without a child in the house. I did find a county-based program and have my counseling next week so we'll see how it goes. Thanks
    04/24/15
    ---------
    04/09/13
    ----------
    03/13/12
    Wow. I never knew Florida has that policy? That just doesn't seem right? I wish you luck next week. Let us know how it goes.
advertisement