Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Devil's Claw for Sciatica?

amailiaaamailia Posts: 3
edited 02/11/2015 - 9:03 AM in Alternative Treatments
I have sciatic nerve pain due to either L4-L5 or L5-S1 (or both) nerves being pinched by a bulging/protruding disc. 10 weeks ago I had a bilateral L5-S1 laminectomy, which has helped my right leg pain, but I am still getting significant left leg pain (it was always the worst leg). I still have a few weeks before I go back to the surgeon, and I know he is likely to send me to get another MRI and then consult with him again - so I am looking for some options for relief in the mean-time.

I currently take gabapentin, which I have slowly reduced from 3600 mg/day to 1800 mg/day since surgery and have not noticed a significant difference (though my activity level is drastically reduced from before surgery). I also take 600-1200mg/day of ibuprofen, but otherwise take no medications.

I recently read that the herbal supplement devil's claw works as an anti-inflammatory, so I was curious if anyone has used it to help with sciatic nerve pain due to disc protrusions, or any other nerve related pain? If so, what dosage do you take and how frequently? Does it help on-demand, or does it need to build up in your system? What side effects have you had, if any?
DDD, facet arthropathy, mild bulge at L3-4, bulge at L5-S1 resulting in spinal stenosis (more pronounced on the left)
12/3/2014 - bilateral L5-S1 laminectomy

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    But I would still run it by your doctor.
    Personally, I take Turmeric in a very pure form a couple of times a day. I discussed it with my doctor and they are in total agreement.
    It has helped as an inflammatory, which in turn helps my arthritis.

I have heard the same good things about Devils Claw, but have no first hand knowledge.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com