Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My car has gone :(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi guys,

Those of you who know me will remember that I officially lost my job a couple of weeks ago. Well my contract officially terminated on Monday and today my company car taken away. I felt so humiliated when this huge car transporter turned up to take it away - it would have left the neighbours in no doubt whatsoever that my car was being removed :( :(

My mobility is terrible at the moment, it took me over half an hour to try and walk down to the local post office the other day and I was too sore to walk back. I need 2 crutches just to get further than the end of drive. I don't have a wheelchair of my own so I am going to be pretty much stuck at home unless my Mum is free to come and take me out. I know this is a minor problem in the scheme of things but it's the last bit of my independence gone.

One good thing is that fuel prices are so high here in the UK - we've hit over £5 a gallon (that's over 10 US dollars!) that I can't really afford the fuel anyway. So, here's to spending even more time stuck at home :( I wish daytime tv was better !!

• sorry to hear you lost your car,you take care...
  • Oh Spicey, I am so very sorry to hear about your latest problems. But look on the bright side (is there one?), at least you don't have to feed it with that expensive petrole (as you Brits call it) that is killing all of us.

I am surprised that you don't have a wheelchair, doesn't NHS provides you one? Here in the USA we always hear about the wonderful services in England. Can't you borrow one from some agency, like the Red Cross? My brother who lives in Canada borrowed all things he needed from them after his hip surgery.

Do you have other modes of transportation available for you? Here we have Para-transit, for people who like you need it. It has a nominal cost, and 24 hrs. advanced reservation, but it is better than nothing.

Spicey hon, don't let that latest setback get you down. Hopefully, everything will work out at the end.

Meanwhile, hang on there, we are here for you.

Kin :sick: :sick: :sick: :) :) :)

• hey spicey, sorry to hear this, but keep the chin up ok!
    dont worry about the neigbors,its their loss if they dont know you K! its just a short term happening,you will be back to the regular course soon,just hang in there.
    your smart and beautiful inside and out! never forget that! you still vital and will be productive and achieve great things!
    think of it,achieving again! when your back in the lab your gonna be in your turf huh? and that means anyone coming in will have to face your wonderful mind,grrrrooowwwrrr...your gonna be a fierce adversary.
    have faith and keep your hands up in the fighting position,and again dont worry your neighbors,if they dont want to get to know, i dont think you need them in your life.
    later alligater!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hun,
    Sorry for the lost of your car! :( I hope that things will get better for you hun. I agree with Paul though, it was mean spirited to send the transporter to get the car.... :( Hugs!
  • Spicey,

I wish there were a way to forever allow a person to maintain their independence. I can understand the blow of having them send a transport truck to pick up the car ... ugh that was very uncalled for! If your neighbors were worth anything, they would have seen that and come to check on you to see if they could help. So don't sweat them if they didn't.

Hang in there. At least here, we are neighbors that won't ignore you!

• Spicey,

I'm sorry you had to go through that. No one should have to endure that- some people are just born without that "compassion" gene!

Take care and get some rest,

• :) haglandc, that is one nice picture of your car you have there. i think it rather insensitive to put up that picture when the girl has lost her car. ok! we see you have a nice one and she doesn't have one at all! just a thought! Jenny :)
  • Hi Spicey Sis,

I'm so sorry to hear about your car finally being taken away. I know we take things like having a car to run errands certainly for granted. I don't know the lay of the land where you are in England, but how is the public transportation system? I know you said you already applied for a bus pass.

I just know it doesn't help your mental state of being either not being able to get out when ever you are able to. I can't imagine you walking on cruches to the post office... My heart just breaks for you. I wish you could use my car, it's just sitting in the parking lot not being used very much. For that I pay $190 a month for car insurance.

But like you said at least you don't have to worry about the added gas expense. Like the other member said, it certainly could have been handled much better then to have all the car shuffeling doing on in front of your house. I know it's difficult, but you have so much more on yoru plate then to worry about what the stupid neighbors are thinking. So, gosh, I just don't know what words to say to help comfort you in this time of crisis.

You are just one of the sweetest people I have ever met and are always helping others, but you are constantly getting blows and IT'S NOT FAIR. All I know is God does have a plan for you and it will be something you will never be able to imagine.

So where are you now since you saw your 2nd opinion. Do you have to get MRI's before he can assess your injury or is he already talking about a plan of action.

Please know I am always here for you day or night. Super duper big hugs from Florida!

I love you! Pebbles
  • Spicey,
    I was so sorry to hear about your car, and the way it had to occur. I wish I could help. I hope things turn around for you soon!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,874
    Mary, even though I know about the events leading up to this, it cant be easy on you at all. I feel bad about the recent set of occurrences that have been happening to you. I only hope that there will be some sort of better things in store for you.Is there some srot of government department that can look into and perhaps helping you with a wheelchair. If there was, then the next step would be how your can adjust to living with one.
    I know you and your family are tight and I am sure that they
    will help pave the way for you to make this all a bit easier.
    Mary, if you were not across the ocean, I know I would find time to help you, even if it meant wheeling you around (and that is dead serious) Will your new boyfriend have time to help you out?
    Mary, I know words cant make things better, but I do know that friends can make a difference.
    Big bear hugs coming in your direction many times sfsrom me.

Take care,
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Spicey there is some thing to be said about dignity.
    The accoutriments of modern living are manifold. Some are indespensable,for you a auto ..for the need to get around.for others they are just so many ornaments to be shown off for the benefit of an undersized ego.
    I am truly sorry for your predicament,and like Dilauro, i would help ya get around, but i cant, mine was taken too.
    Your full persona is intact,you can hold your head high in any crowd you please to associate with, there is nothing wrong with your smile,your laugh,your sense of right andd wrong.
    Any one who demeans ...wait..trys to demean you has issues with their own self image,dont be caught up in social politics. Its easy to fall into the rats race, but your better than that! you may walk a little slower,take a little more time to get there, but get there you will,you get to see the world through a new set of eyes,use them.

no one has any right to try to belittle your spirit,your courage,just let them deal with any infirmity, they will be the ones who cringe and whine their way through life. You will pass this time and move on to another,and this will be a impotent memory,nothing else.
    dont worry what the neighbors think, concentrate on you to heal up as best you can. You are a wonderfull example to many and will continue to be so in the future! Carry yourself with all the dignity and honor a great lady deserves.
    You have great value,every person is born with a value on and in them,demand respect of those around you,if they dont,well they are showing how much value they carry in this life.
    Every person has the right to be respected, cherished and loved by the world at large,
    Let your courage and honor shine true to the world, and those worthy of those attributes will come to the fore,they,will be worthy of your friendship and companionship ,
    your lot will change for the better soon and you will shine in your field,have faith and courage,and change will follow

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank you for the support on this. I don't like posting about my problems to much, but this was a big thing for me. I've now gone 3 days without the car (although I haven't actually been able to drive it for a week anyway because I wasn't insured anymore after they fired me) and I'm doing ok. It's going to take some adjustment and getting used to but I'll find a way of managing. I'm lucky that my Mum lives quite close and can take me to most of my appointments. Without her I would be completely at a loss.

Pebbles - I'm still waiting for a date for another MRI scan before my new surgeon can advise on the best way forward. The thing he has said is that the hardware has to come out, but what is after that remains to be decided...

Thanks again, I really appreciate the support. Hugs to everyone, Spicey
  • hi ya

Have you tried contacting your local red Cross/St john Ambulance units to see if they can help with anything?

My cousin hired a load of equipment from them when my Nan visited him and she couldnt cope with the hills around where he lived. She would have been really stuck indoors the whole time without the wheel chair he got for her. The hospital should also help you sort out any equipment needs you may have. You may need to kick up a bit of noise to get them to listen (god bless the NHS)but they are supposed to make sure you have what you need to get around safely.

• I will be speaking to social services about things once I know what's happening with regards to my surgery. I should be entitled to some help! Meanwhile, I borrow my step-dad's wheelchair when we go out (as long as he isn't using it of course) and luckily a lot of my local larger shops have complimentary wheelchairs that I use. I'm definitely spending more time at home since the car has gone, but at least that stops me from spending money!