Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C6 Fusion, Swallowing

Melj4321MMelj4321 Posts: 4
edited 02/12/2015 - 8:05 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a C5-C6 fusion on 1/12/15 and my throat still 4 weeks later it feels so weird! It feels like I ate a peanut butter sandwich and have nothing to drink to wash it down. I'm also concerned about pain meds and how long I can expect to be in pain. My surgeon prescribed a healthy amount of Percocet to help, but I am going to see my pain doctor in a few weeks in case I need more. Anyone else have the throat thing? Honestly the pain is a littler easier to deal with currently than the throat thing! However, the whole thing sucks a bit. Thanks!

• I also had C5.6 in 2007and C7.done over a year ago.My throat hurt for over a month.I can tell you it will get better.I was told it was from the breathing tube.sometimes they put in a bigger one than needed. As far as your pain meds goes I was on them for 8 weeks.I started cut myself off of them around 6 weeks.Good luck in ypur recovery.
  • Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad I found this board because I don't know many people who have had a fusion. It feels like I can feel the titanium plate, but who knows. Good to know about the pain meds. I was getting hard on myself for still taking them....but I guess 4 weeks isn't bad. I'll be on them for a while I think.
  • On Dec 8th I had a 3 level ACDF done, so I'm almost 10 weeks out. I still occasionally have swallowing issues - just once in a while something just won't go down...peanut butter is the worst! (after fish oil caps..). Not a big deal to me, although I try to always have water around if I have something to eat, just in case.
    Pain wise - I improved I think around 6 weeks. Saying that, it recently got worse again (the muscle pain), probably because I went back to work, even if it's only part time.
    Both these issues to me are pretty normal for the surgery, I am pleasantly surprised the pain wasn't worse than it was. To me, it's the nerve recovery that is a bummer and very frustrating!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016