Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie - Waiting for my Neuro Appt

ScargosunSScargosun Posts: 16
edited 02/13/2015 - 7:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All! I am new here but not new to back pain. I think my initial injury was in my early 20's when I got rolled by a wave while swimming. I remember the pain of being practically folded in half backwards but as I was young, in very good shape at the time, the pain went away very quickly. About 5 years ago I was playing touch football when I came down 'odd' on the ground in cleats. I got a pain in my mid-lower back that just tightened up everything. I was told by an ortho I sprained my back (can't remember the exact spot) and did PT and felt fine. I re-injured it the following year trying to lift my dog. I did not seek treatment as I thought it was just the same thing and of course I had a ton of meds leftover. It eventually went away with rest (I was leaving for vacation the next day). Fast-forward to about 6 months ago. I started having pain again out of nowhere it seemed to me. I practice yoga regularly (was daily) and walk my dogs in the morning. I was trying to work my way back up to running. I thought I just needed the stretching and stress relief I get from yoga to help me but I started getting worse. I thought I just had a pirifomus or sacrolitic issue when the pain started to migrate to my left buttock and leg. I decided to go the chiropractic route this time. I found a good deal of relief from the lower back area during treatment but my chiro was concerned that the sciatic pain was not diminishing more so she sent me for an x-ray then mri. Turns out, I had mild compression of the L5-S1 with pressure on the nerves and thecal sac. It was not diagnosed before b/c I was missing a lot of sx. She suggested I contact a neuro for my issue b/c of the thecal sac involvement. It took me 6 weeks to get an appointment with a well known doc. I could walk my dogs but the pain in my leg made me stop frequently and squat to relieve the pressure. I was also still doing yoga albeit with restrictions. I think the movement kept me as mobile as I could be. Five weeks ago, I broke my ankle slipping on ice. The break was not bad but the damage being on crutches, wearing a boot on my left leg and reduced mobility has me way back at square one (possibly worse) AND I had to reschedule my neuro exam. In total, I will have waited for an appt to get answers/relief for 12 weeks. The ortho I saw for my ankle did not exactly have pity on me either. No pain meds at all even when I explained my issue, offered to show him my report and mri and call the doc I had an appt with in the coming weeks. I have been making do with old Percocet, way too much IBU and Biofreeze. The pain in my leg is often excruciating to the point of tears. I am not sure I have ever cried so much in my life. I think the tears are a combo if pain, frustration and fear I will never be as active as I want to be again and the fear that I have maybe done more damage with the fall and boot/crutches. I'd love to avoid injections and/or surgery but there are times when the pain is so bad, I don't care and I would do anything to stop it. I am sorry the explanation is so long but I may have needed to vent a bit. Knowing this pain, I hope to find support and give support as well.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Today is my fist day as well. I can really relate to the last part of your post about the leg pain. It's like no other pain out there I've exp. And the part about bringing you to tears, I get that part too. I'm not a cryer. Been through major shoulder surgeries no problem. But this...I've never cried so much. It's ridiculous. I hope you get answers soon as well as relief! I've found my dog has been a big help in getting through the really bad days. This site is great for information, hoping the forums will be just as helpful. I don't know if we are allowed to share what's helped ourselves. But when the pain is really bad I've found 2 things that help briefly. On YouTube, there are a some meditations for pain they are good for about 20-30 min. The other is watching funny laugh out loud videos. Like clips of Jimmy Fallon or anything that will make you laugh for a couple minutes. Good luck.
    Entering Uncharted Waters
    L5-S1 Microdiscectomy & Laminectomy on 1/26/2015
    Started Physical Therapy 2/10/2015
  • Sjssnj - Thank you so much! My dogs are worried about me too. I am going to look up the meditations. I binged watched all 10 seasons of Friends over this ankle healing period and you are right. Laughing does help. Hope you find relief as well!!
  • They recommended surgery since the pain has been going on for so long and I have a lot of it. I was surprised but it does go with what I have been reading. The earlier you catch the problem, the more options there are. I could try injections but I might have to wait months to see if they work. It has already been months and I am worse. Luckily the ankle is healing well. Having the ortho boot off has helped the pain somewhat.