Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF c4/5-c5/6 scheduled for 2/24/15

Taylormade001TTaylormade001 Posts: 10
edited 02/13/2015 - 9:17 PM in New Member Introductions
This is a fantastic board - glad I found it. After shoulder surgery last May (labrum cleanup and bicep moved) did not take care of being able to abduct my left arm, my shoulder surgeon said I needed gain strength so I needed to 'hit the gym real hard.....if the pain gets worse, you will be back.' He refused any further treatment. I tried to get a second opinion with another orthopedist at a different practice, and was denied after he reviewed my records. DENIED!! He didn't even grant me an office visit. Probably thought I was shopping for drugs, lol.

After 2 months I called the first practice begging to see another orthopedist for a second opinion (a very tearful plea), someone in the office obtained an OK from the original Ortho for me to see a colleague. That second orthopedist talked with me for 5 minutes and did a quick exam. He sent me straight away to have a cervical X-ray right then, and within 15 minutes he told me it was my neck causing my pain....that it was most likely deltoid paralysis from c5 nerve root compression. Had an MRI to confirm as such, and so much more. DDD all the way down, 2 herniations compressing the spinal cord, and large bone spurs. I'm nervous about surgery, but excited to finally doing something that will at least halt further damage, and hopeful of relieving at least some of the pain.

If only the first orthopedist had done an X-ray from the onset. No use in wasting time on that thought, as it does not take away any pain. I'm looking ahead now.
ACDF C5/6 & C67 scheduled for 02/24/2015

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank You for the warm welcome, Liz.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 554
    I'm glad you finally were able to find a doctor to diagnose you. Make sure you read the "must haves" for upcoming surgeries. There are some good suggestions there to help prepare you after you've had the surgery. Keep in touch & let us know how you are doing.
  • Thank you so much! I have already made a list from the suggestions, and have been working on stocking up. Lots of soups being made and frozen in single serving sizes. The list is very helpful. Thanks again!
  • badarmbbadarm Maceo, kyPosts: 1
    Hey just wondering if you've recovered from the paralysis in your arm? 6 months ago I had been having sever pain in my neck for about two weeks. About to leave from work, went to raise my arms up, right arm didn't go. Initially thought I'd had a stroke! But nothing else was affected. Finally 4 months later found a Dr. in Louisville KY who I found competent..really I had two other opinions. My c5 was causing the paralysis in my shoulder and bicep.But had three other levels  worse than c5. I had a 4 level fusion 7 weeks ago, c3/4, c4/5, c5/6 and c6/7. I'm in NO pain but lost even more use of my arm now even my peck and my hand. They told me it will come back with time. I've been doing physical therapy with little to no improvement.
       I'd lifted weights not a body builder or anything but looked healthy. now my right arm is deformed with only the triceps muscle still there the rest have atrophied to a fourth of the size of my left.Oh forgot to say I'm right handed. Everything is difficult! I'm getting discouraged! Rick