Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Intercostal neuralgia

This topic is a question for all with cervical issues. Once or twice a week I have this strange shock feeling coming from my right rib cage. I googled it and found a blog with the same question as mine, a DR. Commented to get a MRI and X-ray of your neck. I've already had both and surgery has been recommended. But for insurance reasons and work I have to get a 2nd opinion.
I've never told my surgeon of this symptom because I didn't know it was a symptom of cervical decompression. Anyone out there have this issue? If so, what stops it? Any info is appreciated, thanks :)
2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
Steroid injections series x 4.

• BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 02/15/2015 - 6:03 PM
    I have 2 herniated discs at C4/5 & C5/6 and I also get the worst intercostal pain. My physical therapist basically says it's caused by all the muscle spasms that occur from the neck and cascade to the rest of the torso. I get bad spasms on my scalene muscles and trapezius too. The only thing that soothes mine is a microwaveable damp heat type heating pad. I actually broke down and purchased a jacuzzi to help with all the spasming. It's heaven but pricy, but heat helps the most.
    Hope this helps.
  • Starts in the neck? I've had these spasms over a year but didn't know it was another symptom of neck problems.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.