Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Happy to be here!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi there! I am not really excited about my fusion next week, but I am relieved to find such a fun group to share with. Very few people out there seem to understand what all of us really go through!

I think the part that is really freaking me out is that I am 31 and having this surgery. I also have a two year old who is ALL boy, and I'm not sure how he is going to react to Mommy not being able to pick him up and play with him. Anyone else have this dilemma?

Looking forward to chatting!

• Welcome to spine-health,good luck with your surgury...
  • :) hi and welcome ot the forum! we ae here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear you are having surgery but you are wise to be doing your homework. there is alot of information here on the site. look under Treatments at the top of the forum for some more input. having a child must raise all kind of questions for you. he will probably want to help his mommie more than anything. please keep us informed as you progress. i hope to see you around the forum. if you are ever feeling the need to vent or need some "spiney" company just stop by. Jenny
  • Hi Kimmie,

Welcome to Spine Health.

I am having a fusion l4-s1 on the same day. I have three boys 4 1/2 y twins and a 2 1/2 y old. I know how you feel!

I guess we will be able to compare notes. Do you have everything you need for your surgery? Grabber, raised potty seat etc?

Let me know if you have any questions or if you need anything.

• Welcome to the forum. I have a fusion L5-S1 a little over 7 weeks ago. I have three boys 19, 16, and 6. I do what I can to keep the 6 year old busy. But, we have found different things to do than we did before. I have stayed very positive most of the time, but it does get to you at times. Those are the times I've learned to rely on my spiney friends the most. :P Ask all the questions you have, even if they seem silly to you at the time.
    See ya around the board.
  • Hi Kimmie,
    My name is Dawn but for the most part I use my screen name which is nana2007.
    I hope that you do get what this site is all about. Support and others that know exactly what you are going through. I
    was one of the lucky ones, 1 of my kids had moved out and was on his own, and our daughter was in here junior year of High School. Had it not been for her still living at home, I have no idea what we'd have done at that time. It made it possible for my husband to continue to work while she was at home and helping me out a lot.
    I know that it is going to be harder on you than your 2 year old when it comes to not picking him up and going about your normal daily routines. The kids seems to adjust better than we do. I have 3 Grandchildren now and can't pick anyone of them up now. And it is hard. When the little ones put their arms out for you to pick them up---it just breaks my heart. Try to relax about it and you will find different ways to cuddle and comfort him.
    Good Luck with your surgery and I hope that you have a great turn out from it. When you are able to get back online afterwards, please stop in and let us know how you are doing?????
    I will keep you in my thoughts.
  • Hi and Welcome to this forum. Best of luck to you on your surgery next week..
  • I already feel better knowing there are others out there who are so encouraging. See ya after surgery!
  • Good luck on your surgery. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • Hi, like you I am new to this board but am so happy to find others like me! I had my first fusion at 32 (11 years ago) and my daughter was 10 years old. Like others have said, it is a big adjustment, especially for you. I was very active and was always doing things with the her on the weekends - camping, hiking, fishing, skating, etc. After surgery we had to find other activities but she was great about it. And I learned that although I couldn't be right in the middle of every activity with her, I could still fulfill an important role as cheerleader on the sidelines! Once I was able to drive again, I tried to make sure that she still got to do some of her favorite things and I just cheered her on. She was in Girl Scouts, took dance and karate, was in band and all the other school activities. I don't know how I would have made it through without her, she was so much help. And going through surgery this year (she's grown and married now) made me realize just how much help she was! God bless our kids! :)
  • Hey y'all. Single mother of 2 with back problems. Had my first fusion/decompression done at L5-S1 in December of 04. Am facing yet another fusion at L4-L5 in August of this year. They will also be taking out the screws from my previous fusion. I also have disk degeneration, and recently been found to have radiculapathy and radiculitis, along with spinal stenosis. I had been complaining for years to my ortho about something being wrong with the nerves in my back and legs and he finally listened. Came upon this group, and it seems like a really good place to converse with people who truly understand my pain.
  • Welcome to spine-health brucie76
  • Thanks you so much for the reply. I'll be stopping back in after surgery, and I'm sure I will be venting alot. thanks again! :)