Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post diseconomy reherniation

MyrineMMyrine Posts: 1
edited 02/16/2015 - 5:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

First of all I'd like to say that this is one of the best forums I have come across online. It has been and it continues to be my source of information and support since I've herniated my disc in September last year. I'd like to thank you all for it!

I have had my discectomy (L4/5) 5 days ago. I have to say I am recovering quite well; much better from what I was expecting and imagining. As many, I am extremely concerned about reherniation and was hoping some of you would be able to answer a few of my questions. Since last night I have also started getting a temporal but relatively sharp pain on the left side of my lower back (precisely where it was hurting prior to my surgery). The pain is also radiating down my leg and below my left knee. It is exactly the same area that was hurting prior to the surgery. I am aware that, during my recovery, the pain will come and go and that the current leg pain may be a result of pushing myself too much (It was the first day I did a decent walk around a park). I should also note that the current pain is very mild when compared to the pre-op situation.

Nevertheless, I was hoping someone could advise me on the following:

1. What are the symptoms of reoccurring herniation?

2. Does it hurt as much as the previous ones (I am aware that the intensity varies) or can it be almost 'symptomless'?

3. Can reherniation be provoked by sneezing or coughing or it requires more pressure?

4. Did many of you get some form of leg pain after the surgery? Should I consider it to be 'normal'?

I look forward to your response - thanks in advance!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 02/16/2015 - 5:56 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I saw your post and thought I'd reply with my experience as I am currently recovering from a revision microdiscectomy 4 weeks ago. My experience from my first surgery is much different from this one. After my first surgery I experienced swelling at incision site and random leg and foot pain that disappeared after 4 weeks. It was never too bad and I barely took pain medication. I was doing great until I started pt. I started to experience pain in my back and legs after that. I believed it was due to inflammation or some inactivity, but it only got worse. Everything I read said if you reherniate you would definitely feel it. Mine wasn't quite like that. I never had a pop, or an aha moment. It just got worse. I did have random muscle spasms and leg pain that grew and grew until it was constant again and I pretty much already figured. In the end it hurt just as bad as the first one if not worse. I'm not sure when mine happened again, but I was very active again after feeling better from the first one. I have read stories of people doing practically nothing and it happens. I think it is part being a good post surgery patient or plain luck that makes the difference. As I said earlier I'm on my second recovery right now and this time it is totally different. I have had much more pain both in my back and legs. Yes I said legs, since surgery I feel pain in both my original right side and some on the left too! The pain is more constant then random especially when I walk. I have not been able to go without meds. although I have tried to stretch the dose out. I am hoping this is part of recovery and not a sign of reherniation. If anyone has any advice to me please respond too. Thanks