Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MusicGirl is Home and Resting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

I spoke with MusicGirl and she wanted me to tell everyone that she is home and resting. She came home against the hospital's wishes, last night. Honestly I don't blame her. She actually had to have help by her SO and daughter to climb up 3 flights of stairs to get into her bed, but she said she had the best night since her operation on Monday.

She is loving being in her slippry jammies and sliding around on her high thread count sheets. Nothing like the hospital.

Let's see what else, well we spoke for almost 2 hours and she has quite the story to share about her hospital ordeal, like we all have. We also had a big discussion about taking her meds as scheduled in order to keep AHEAD of the pain.

So she will post soon when she is able to. It was such a nice surprise to hear from her today, certainly made my 4th of July!

WECLOME HOME MUSICGIRL. image Love you MusicGirl! Pebbles

• Hope she has a speedy recovery....
  • I'm so glad she's home! And has her family around to support her, that's wonderful to hear!

Give her my best when you talk to her!

• It was really good to hear her voice again. I gave her an open invitation to call me anytime, day or night.
  • So glad things went well and you are healing! Best to you in your recovery.

• Musicgirl,

Best of luck with your recovery- Get lots of rest and keep us updated when you can.

Mel :)
  • Hi Musicgirl,

I hope you are doing well and I am glad you are in your own bed! (Insert big hug here- at home on computer- no smiley's AOL dial -up - Hey stop laughing). I can not wait to hear about your hospital ordeal. I hope is was not too bad. Miss you and hope you recovery nicely. Please do not over-do it. R&R.

• Hi MG,

I left a voice mail for you and hopefully you are sleeping like a baby spiney! We are all praying for you and hope you are managing your pain.

Miss you and hope to see you soon!

xoxo Pebbs
  • I will say a prayer for her....
  • Hi Guys,

I just wanted you to know that MusicGirl called me today. She is in soooo much pain and now is starting to have a fever of 101.5 to 101.9. She called the surgeon's on-call Dr. and the surgeon was no help! MusicGirl really needs higher dosage of meds and can you believe that she was not given any muscle relaxers after having a PLIF with her own boner material! I'm so angry for her I can't believe it. She does have a nurse that has been coming to the house that also feels her meds need to be increased, but the surgeon on call absolutely refused to order anymore meds.

I suggested to her that especially with the fever that she really needs to go to the ER. She feels bad about going back to the ER at the hospital that really wanted to keep her all weekend and I don't blame her. But I told her that her fever is not good, especially only 5 days after surgery!. So I asked her to please call that nurse and tell her about her fever and that perhaps the nurse can call the on-call surgeon and tell her they are on the way to the ER, so they don't think she is drug seeking. Apparently MG has been on high dosages of meds pre-op and whatever they have prescribed isn't even touching her pain.

I'm so worried about her, so Spineys can we all please come together and use the power of prayer and help MusicGirl out?

She really needs our love and support!

Thank you all and I will keep you posted.

• Hey Pebbles, just a thought...my fever ranged from 100.9 to about 101.3 for several days after I got home and my surgeon said they don't even consider it a problem unless you hit 102...which I think it's stupid but just a thought. Make sure she is doing her breathing treatment!!!

I'm so sorry she is in pain, she told me before the surgery she was concerned about that because she was on high dosages pre-op....

Tell her we all miss her!!!
  • Thank you. I feel so bad for her, she was crying so much and is in horrible pain. I told her to stop walking up and down 3 flights of stair in her house. She can stay upstairs where there is a rest room. She can get up and just walk up and down her hallway. but the stairs IMO are way too much too soon. Do you know the hospital didn't even send her home with a raised Potty? I mean she has the bare minimum. I don't know how she's handling it. She has health insurance, I don't understand what the problem is!!!
  • Exactly that was her main concern was pain control! They treated her like crap in the hospital as if she was a drug addict. Thats why she wanted home where she had more meds, but those aren't even working now.

I forget to tell her about the breathing treatment, she certainly doesn't need pneomonia! I will send her your love and support. You too BC.
  • When my fever was up it was when I wasn't doing my treatment like I should have..and the same exact thing happened to my hubby after he had bicep surgery....as obnoxious as doing it is, it HAS to be done. The doctor described it all to me in detail in the hospital but basically if there's a fever I'd wager it's from not getting her lungs breathing deeply enough!

Please please please get her on top of that. It's so easy to forget. In the hospital my temp did hit 103 one night and the nurse came in every hour to wake me up to make sure I did my treatments and it worked...it went down!

• Yikes, I so don't want to be hearing scary stuff like this right now.

I just have to give my virtual soft hugs and recovery wishes to you MG!

Good Luck - hope it turns around for you soon!
  • Don't worry Saltz!

Everyones recovery is different...remember that! If you've done the whole "no meds" route you will be just fine. I didn't take much pre-op myself so anything post-op they give me makes me a little loopy so be careful!

BTW..how was the discogram....I opted NOT to have that done and think maybe I should have before my surgery.

Good Luck!!!
  • You know Rotten she never said anything about doing her breathing. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give her that device. I know I had to ask for mine 3 days post=op, and the only reason I knew about it is because when I had my tonsiles out in 2005 I had to do that ball thing after getting pneomonia post op. So I will definitely make sure she is doint that exercise. If not I'm sure the visiting nurse can supply her with that device. Thank goodness Monday is around the corner for her so she can call her primary surgeron.

Saltz, I'm sorry you are getting scared by all of this, but like Rotten said, MG was on serious meds for chronic pain I think she said for 20 years. So it's completely different for those not used to meds. Heck before my injury all I would take was Advil and birth control. Now I take neither LOL but am on oxicotin, Percocet, Soma, Lyrica and Lexapro! Crazy eh?
  • Hi MG, just checking in to see if you were able to post yet. I know you said that heads will be rolling Monday so you can get the Hospital bed for downstairs and also a hospital tray so you can put your laptop on there, also to eat as comfortable as possible.

I'm going to call you again later to see how your temperature is and if you ended up going to the ER. Every is so concerned about you and sends their love and prayers!

Ok I will call you later. Many cyber kisses and hugs!

image<---- this will be you shortly!
  • Good morning all,

I spoke with MG yesterday (Sunday) and she was a bit more comfortable then Saturday, thank goodness. Her fever is more of low-grade status.

The on-call surgeon called up back at 2:00 a.m. (Sunday) and said if she knew she had a fever she would have had her come in, etc., but with the holiday the ER was crazy.

Anyway, I reminded her like Rotten suggested to use her breathing device and even shared with her that it helped Rotton's fever go down.

The surgeon did say that because of inactivity the fever was probably caused by her lungs. So GOOD suggestion Rotten and I reminded MG several times to use it several times a day.

Also I told her about gently pumping her ankles to help with circulation and blood clots. Also to get up several times a day to help with tightness and blood clots, etc.

So thank goodness it's Monday and she will be speaking to her normal surgeon today. She did find a flexeral at home to take and said that it helped her pain go down about 50%. DUH, can't believe they didn't give her any muscle relaxers at the hospital!

Also today I blieve she is having an "aid" come to the house. I suggested that she write a "to do" list for the Aid, no matter how trivial, yes, even to scoop the kitty litter. She was surprised that they would do such a thing, I said absolutely yes, so I wanted her to mentally go through her day and write down the slightest little thing that she could think of to have the Aid do for her. Also MG is requesting a hospital bed for down stairs and a hospital tray, plus I told her to get an RX for a grabber too, there is no reason why she should have to pay for any of this since she has healthcare. I believe she only gets one more paycheck and that's it!

I told her you all are praying for her and she was just so grateful!

So let's continue the prayers and hopefully we will be seeing her online this week!

Love you MusicGirl! Pebbs
  • Dear Lord! Get me her address and I will send her some of MY muscle relaxers! image Tell her I said Hi and I am thinking about her. And Take It Easy already! image
  • I'm so glad you are getting someone to come help you out! That's great news!

Keep up the breathing treatment...it really makes a difference (trust me on that one)

We miss you bunches!

• Hi Girl, how are you sweetie. I'm beyond infuriated that they made you WALK UP STAIRS AFTER SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I dont give a damn what the excuse was; sorry if I missed it, since I saw red when I read about that. That damn hospital should have medivac you or somehing.
    Enough of that; hope you get well and get treated like royalty. Call that hospital administrator about that stair business; believe me they better offer you something better than an apology.
  • Hi Musicgirl,

I hope your doctores appointment went well today- My prayers are going your way.image

Pebbles for keeping us up to date with Musicgirl.

• HI-
    Thanks for all your good wishes! It's been a week since my fusion surgery, and I'm sooooo glad it's over! I'm glad to say that yesterday they finally agreed (the insur. co) to pay for an elect. hospital bed w/rails and overbed tray (for this laptop-even THAT is too heavy to hold on my lap since surgery!) to be in my liv/fam room for a few weeks so I can take care of myself, and be on one floor w/the kitchen and bathroom. I can't get over the bureaucracy of the insur. co/hospital for the aftercare situation. Won't get into it here, but it was tough, and brought me to tears several times, since I just wanted to be able to take care of myself the best way I could. (I'm single-mom, kids are away for a few weeks this summer, so I've been alone).
    On a good note, I could tell just about right away that my sciatic hip pain and most of my leg pain was gone after surgery. But it really does bring you to your knees physically, and I had to fight to get proper pain relief, esp. the 2nd night after my surgery, when I was hurting so bad, I finally DEMANDED to see a dr. or PM person IMMEDIATELY! I got that courage from reading about my rights
    as a patient, here on this forum. The nurses couldn't believe it, and I told them no offense, but they either needed to give me something that would calm the INTENSE surgical pain, or call Dr. Kevorkian--stat!!
    In a few minutes I had the on-call ortho dr. in my hospital room asking "what's the problem"? I told him, as I'd told the other staff, that I have been on strong pain meds for 20yrs, and had a huge tolerance to them, so I needed a much larger dose than someone else could probably handle. The pain pump thing was a joke, cause as soon as I would start to drift to sleep (mercifully), I wouldn't push the button, and I would wake up shortly afterward just PARALYZED with pain!
    He finally agreed to up my dilaudid amount by 50%, and give that thru my IV every 2 hrs. +then they gave me some breakthru oxycodone IR every 4 hrs. That helped. But I did hear alot of people moaning from pain on my ortho floor. I just think it's inhumane not to "bring out the big guns" after such an incredibly painful surgery.
    Well, I have been trying to get up and walk every hour for about 5 minutes, so I have to do that now (just around the house so far).
    Thanks again for all the good thoughts and wishes, everyone!! I am so glad to finally be on "the other side"!!

It is so good to see you girlie! image Rotten says that is a meanie hug, but that's how I roll!

Man, I hear you about the heavy laptop! I was like, get this thing off me! image

Are your kids behaving and taking care of their Mommy? We have all missed you and think about you all the time. If you need muscle relaxers let me know. There is this company called, "Waiters on Wheels" - Rotten will tell you about it - they deliver stuff. ;)
  • So glad to hear from you and that you are seeing results. Great job on standing up for yourself Sweetie!

WE love you!

• Wow MG,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles... Those crazy torchering nurses need a taste of their own medicine. Altough your Surgeon was probably the one who told them how much meds to give.

I glad things are going better for you now :)

Feel Better,

• Hi Pebbles,

Thank you for doing this for your friend. Please convey her my very best wishes. Tell her her Spiney friends are all thinking of her and hoping to see her postings soon.

Hugs to both of you,

Kin :) :) :) :) :)