Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

rubbing your scar?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Exercise and Rehab
:? :? Ok...I went for my PT eval. It went pretty much as I had expected it to. EXCEPT...the PT told me to start rubbing my incision area, not real gently but not too hard. She said that many people, and more often women,have a very difficult time when the area heals up too hard. By rubbing the area it would help to alieviate pain, scar tissue forming and possibly other problems. :jawdrop: Has anone else ever heard this? Could this be true?

• :) my sister just had back surgery and was told to have her husband press on it several times a day. as well she is using vitamin E on it whenever she can get someone to put it on. it seems like these are the two "modern" ways to work on scar tissue! Jenny :)
  • This was new to me, as I was not told to do this after my first surgery. (I also didn't have PT after my micro-d). I have been doing it. I have a 4" scar front and back. The front one is much easier to get to. My hubby has to help with the back.

I am going to get some vitamin e oil today. Hopefully it will help the scar not look so bad.

Not that I'm concerned too much about it, heck at 43 after 3 kids I'm not going anywhere in a bikini! :O

Thanks all! Have a painless day!
  • I started messaging the scar on my neck after about 1 month post op. It does feel less "lumpy" now.
  • Wow, one can always learn something new here! This is the first time this came up, but come to think about it, when I had a foot surgery I was instructed to rub the incision site with vitamin E lotion. Mind you, that one looked much nastier than my pale pink scar ( 51/2") from my fusion in May. I'll ask my doc when I go for my 3 months checkup.

Thanks for the advise.

Kin :) :) :)
  • After my hysterectomy and bladder surgeries, I was also told to massage the scar to reduce buildup of scar tissue. I also had small injections of lidocaine into my scars at a residential pain clinic to "open up the meridians", and the energy flow through there was amazing right afterwards. Who'd have thought?!

• Hi Anna

My PT told me to do the same thing! Everyday i rub my scars and it sure does help! Thanks for bringing this up, many people do not know this!!

Evelyn :)
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • My scar is now now 16 weeks old and is flat and smooth and just looks like someone has drawn a thin line down my back with a purple felt tip pen! It was originally about 4 and half inches long but now has shortened, and it originally had 26 staples.

The nurse who removed them said the best thing to put on it was Vaseline as it moisturises the wound but keeps all the bugs out - so my lovely hubby rubbed it every day at least once and now he is very proud of the scar!! :))

I also know that concentrated Vitamin E oil is a miracle at fading scars if it is something that bothers you and you have a figure for a bikini - alas I don't - never did really! :))

• I have been using Mederma gel. It really does seem to have helped, not only with how the scar looks...but other issues that come with pain meds has decreased as well. I still have a bit of constipation on occasion, but not like it was before...and I'm still taking the same meds. :? I wonder if it is the movement from rubbing your abdomen after everything was pushed around? Who knows....I'm just glad it helps. :)