Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD in age 24

Hi .. I'm 24 years old .. I had lower back pain some times its moderate and sometimes its sever .. Also some times when I had the pain I feel my legs become weak .. I had the pain from birth and many doctors said that its Birth defects and they can't do any things so I stop seeing doctors but the pain getting worse so..

My MRI shows that I had peridiscal osteophytes-disc degenerative changes and mild lumber scoliosis .. My question is that DDD is usual and normal in my age ?? Also what are my options for the treatments??

Thank you :)

• Hi... I want to tell you that yes it normal, but its not. I was diagnosed with DDD at two places in my Thoracic spine at 19. my disc were already so far gone that the three vertebrae surrounding them were about 1/3 of the way fused... I learned this about 3 months after my 19th birthday. My pain was debilitating and went through a crazy amount of physical therapy and pain meds and injections before I had the nerves blocked.

I suffered from low back pain off and on for about 10 years prior to having the worst episode of my life last October. I ended up at the hospital and out of work for a week, unable to walk or move. After having new MRI's done, i learned i had ANOTHER degenerated disc in my lumbar that is also bulging into my spinal canal AND I also was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 3 facet joints. I am now only 23 years old (in January).

There are options, depending on where your DDD is located. if its in your lumbar, there are WAY more options than thoracic. I have done facet injections, medial branch nerve blocks, and currently taking Mobic. There are tons of different anti-inflamatory meds out there that are all slightly different. I tried Celebrex and it did nothing, the Mobic seems to help. Im currently also using Butrans patches for constant pain relief. My orthopedic recommended a disc replacement when the time comes. My next procedure will be a disgogrophy/discogram to verify if the bad disc is what is causing my pain.

I hope this helps, I know how you are feeling!
  • Thank you katie for your replay and I'm sorry for your pain .. your answer really help me .. Sometimes its really feeling good that someone said I know how you feels bc sometimes my friends told me I can't handle a back pain !!!
    I don't know what my next plan yet .. Maybe I will try to see an orthopedic doctor in March bc my pain getting worse and I'm having really bad headache these days and I don't konw if its related to my back pain or what .....
  • Can I have a doctor opinions pleas ..!
    Thank you !!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    First, there are no medical professionals on this forum site. So there is no one medically quail flied to provide you with detailed answers.
    The main site has articles and videos written by medical doctors and other medical professionals.

Read up on Degenerative Disc Disease

You will read that it is not that uncommon for someone your age to show some signs of DDD. Almost all individuals will show some sign by the time they reach 30. DDD is basically the aging of our spines. As your hair turns gray, our spines get older.

DDD can be successfully managed by approved exercise programs and OTC NSAIDS. Only the more severe cases require
    any aggressive action.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for your replay ....
  • Hello red rose,

I'm 25 and I have DDD, I too have had it from birth. Recently I have had my second surgery for it. Have you had any surgeries for yours yet? Message me sometime I'm in the same boat with age wise!
  • Hello LSprad10 .. I'm sorry for your pain .. I know how you feel .. I hope you a fast recovery .. I don't had any surgeries yet .. I already sent a message for you .. could you pleas check your inbox :)
This discussion has been closed.