Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too soon for a new MRI???

I had a revision microdiscectomy 4 weeks ago, and have been experiencing post surgery pain in my legs and back that worry me. Is it too soon to have another MRI done or will the images not be accurate this soon after surgery?

• I had a revision MRI at 7 weeks post discectomy the first time & at 6 weeks after the second surgery. The one at 7 weeks showed my re herniation but the surgeon felt things all still looked to swollen & angry after the one at 6 weeks & dismissed the radiologists finding until a further MRI a few months later showed a sequested fragment & herniation. Could have been additional swelling from 2 surgeries so close together to make it hard to read.

Most people here will tell you 4 weeks is too early in the recovery process. I was lucky, my surgeon took my concerns on board & ordered the additional MRI's (I'm now much poorer!). I'd give your surgeon a call & discuss your concerns if you haven't already.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Thanks for the response Veronica. I kind of figured that it would be too soon but I just wants some answers to what is going on. Seeing your response I know that you can understand where I am coming from since you yourself have been there. I do have an appointment with my surgeon this Friday. I know there will be no definite resolve, but at least he can possibly answer some of my concerns or suggest some better ways to deal with what I am currently feeling. The MRI in the future will be the only way to positively know what comes next. I see you too have the same l5s1 problem as me. I also see you eventually had a fusion. If you don't mind me asking how are you doing?
  • I'm getting there slowly. I still have some nerve pain (I take lyrica to keep it at a manageable level) but otherwise I'm beginning to feel really good. It's has taken me longer than I anticipated to be where I'm at now, my surgeons idea of a recovery time frames a bit out. I keep reading nerves take time to heal so I'm hoping my nerve issue settles down. It was compressed for at least two years prior to diagnosis so I'm hoping it's not permanent damage. I've recently increased my activity level up a notch & although I'm feeling it, I think it more using muscles I haven't in near on 2 years.

Good luck, I hope your pain settles & you avoid a fusion,
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014