Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Blown Out L5/S1 - Can't Urinate

Just before Christmas I was unable to rise out of bed. I've known for years of having degenerative disc disease, scoliosis, and spinal stenosis, but this was a surprise. Since then I have been on increasing amounts of:

Oxycodone, 30mg every 4 hours
800mg Ibuprofen every 4 hours
Tylenol, 500mg every 4 hours
Methocarbamol, 750mg every 6 hours
Gabapentin, 600mg every 6 hours
Ativan, 1mg every 12 hours
Lidoderm 5% patches, one every 12 hours

Frankly, I am scared to death! One doctor told me that I was a surgical candidate and online reviews of this describe it as exceptionally painful. Having lost my job and now insurance I don't qualify for Obama Care and now have Medi-Cal. This conjures up images of hack surgeons.

Complicating matters I am unable to urinate. This condition has gotten progressively worse. I was put on Flowmax once a day to tell my body that it can urinate but more goes in than comes out. No ultrasound was done to tell anyone that I have an enlarged prostate; it was assumed. But I know the timing.

Given all of the muscle numbing medications would it be wiser to think that my muscles just don't have the umph needed to express urine? Defecate as well. Or is it possible that the urethra is impinged? I have been seeing an Acupuncturist and one day after he worked on me I urinated all day and into the night. I lost about 20 pounds that day.

As I have said I am scared to death! I am only 54 years old and watching my body fall apart. I don't suppose that as a Medi-cal patient I qualify for a minimally invasive surgery. You know, out in an hour. It would seem a better use of tax payer dollars without the need for a hospital stay, etc.

I guess what I am asking for here is some reassurance that others have gone through this, that there are answers, and that my 13 year old daughter, a brain cancer survivor of 8 years herself, needs me more than my wimpy half-a$$ desire to check out. The pain is incredible. Fear of the unknown is the worst.